Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sweet surprise...

We thought it would look pretty to have a few rows of sunflowers
on the edge of the property....
between us and the farm behind us.

After clearing the area, planting and watering of sunflower seeds...
nothing...
not a single sunflower...

and then to our surprise in the flower garden
under the bird feeder...
sunflowers started to grow..

Would the sunflower seeds meant for the birds bloom?


Patiently we watched
and sure enough the first bloom opened
yesterday...
Thank you to our little feathered friends,
who apparently know how to plant
sunflower seeds better then we do!


Surprise #2:
After a long hot day at work,
I came home to find a vase of beautiful blue hydrangea's
sitting on my side porch...

A sweet gift from a dear friend...



Surprise # 3:
This little hydrangea produced not a single bloom last year..
This year one pink blossom...
hopefully many more next year!


Don't you love sweet surprises?

(If you want to see other flowers in our garden, you can find them here!)

10 comments:

Michelle said...

What a beautiful post, Wendy. I loved every minute of my visit! 'Hope you had a wonderful Fourth.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

How nice to have birds plant for you. Hopefully your hydrangeas will be fuller next year.

Jane Doe said...

Beautiful pictures, as always!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Two of my favorite flowers in one post, love it!

Christine said...

We call those flowers or plants that grow by themselves, Volunteers.
Some of my very favorite flowers have been Volunteers!

Comeca Jones said...

Beautiful surprises!

Wild Oak Designs said...

I love surprises!
For example the sunflowers I grew...(take a look) this year are the star attraction...didn't know they would be so unique....
Come for a visit and see
Nancy
http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Robyn said...

I LOVE Sunflowers! I wanted to plant some this year but just never got around too it .. I hope to next year though.. Love all the photos :)
Robyn

corners of my life said...

I first heard of "volunteer" plants last year. Lucky you to have some.

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

oh yes! I love sweet surprises. I too planted sunflowers...and got two.The grasshoppers devoured them.
But gladly...like you. I've had sunflowers pop up in some of the most unexpected places!

They have been delightful. Your's are beautiful.
Pat

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity