Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A new collection...

What do you collect? This was a question asked of Tony and I when we toured an antique dealer's home. We found ourselves having a difficult time answering this question. He noticed our hesitation and proceed to tell us everyone collects something....most of the time we do not realize we are collecting. He said it is the item you see in the store and you tell yourself you don't need another _______!  As soon as he shared this advice, we started to think of items we collect.

Which leads me to my newest obsession collection. When I was little, I remember my mom always working on a needlepoint project. I have completed some small needlepoint projects, but nothing large scale. Lately I have been noticing them at thrift stores. When I see them it evokes sadness and I feel a need to rescue them. Someone spent a lot of time to complete this beautiful work of art.....and my collection began.

Here are some of my recent finds.....

The flower needlepoint picture in the center was found at the thrift store for $5.00.

Can you believe this large needlepoint was only $18.00 at my favorite
antique store!

The small cross-stitch flower print was $4.00 at the thrift store
and the cross-stitch ballet picture my mom made me when I was in ballet.

My goal is to continue with needlepoint pictures up the wall....
(new paint will be added to the walls this weekend....hopefully)

This is my newest find...$6.00 from my favorite antique store!

A cross-stitch I made for our first house....

There is my newest collection!
It is so much fun to hunt for these
treasures when thrift shopping!

How about you...what do you love to collect?

12 comments:

Maria M. Boyer said...

I collect Noritake teacups and saucers, though you may remember, my collection was mostly broken last year. I'm still in mourning.

Of more interest to me, though, is that while you were posting this, I was online looking at stitching kits, thinking it might be time again to create a little something new. I put down the needle years ago — tired eyes — but I've been missing the serenity of it of late. Beautiful collection, Wendy.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love your needlepoint collection. I was wondering what was wrong with the paint on the walls and then you said you are going to be painting.

Comeca Jones said...

I love the shape of you baskets everything looks so neat.

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

What a neat collection Wendy. I have one cross stitch from my grandmother. I tried my hand it many years ago, and it was so hard for me to keep my hand steady at it.

Jane Doe said...

I love cross-stitch! You got some great finds, at great prices! My Mother has the large one in her house as well; my Aunt made it many years ago. It's a beautiful pattern!

Oh, and what do I collect? Dust, mostly.

Paula said...

I like the idea of collecting needlework. I should pull some of my grandmother's work out of the attic for a display!

I collect flowerpots (like some in your post). I also like econolites but I only have one, so far!

GardenofDaisies said...

What a wonderful collection!! The sampler you found for $8 is amazing!

Made In The South said...

Wendy,
What a great thing to collect. I hate to see someones hard handi-work for sale and always wonder why.
May I suggest that you label the backs of the ones you made so that in many many years to come your children will know which ones were yours or your mom's handi-work.
(we were unsure which crochet pieces where my grandmothers or great grandmothers)
I have slowed down my collecting, it was getting out of hand.LOL

Christine said...

Needle-points do need to be rescued!
You have some wonderful ones.
I love the way you have the one displayed in the laundry room.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Love your pieces. So pretty. I think collections of all types are lovely.

I don't really collect much (yet) but I do love Fiestaware and probably have enough to consider it a collection. Magazines? ;)

Silver Strands said...

Love your blog so much Wendy, that I'm now following! Have great day :)

Bring Pretty Back said...

I seem to keep wanting vintage kitchen canister sets! I have to stop myself!
How many can a girl have?! ENOUGH!
hahha!
I love your needlepoint collection!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity