Friday, September 9, 2011

Happy One Year Anniversary...

One year ago today we moved to the Pond House...following a dream! Many of you have been along for the ride as we looked at houses, made offers, contracts accepted, contracts lost, and finally the move to the Pond House! What a happy day! It is still a happy day...a decision we are so glad we made!


I had originally planned to post all the before and after projects we have completed, but my mind and heart is somewhere else tonight....


Trying to organize my thoughts for this post has been very hard. Have you ever been part of an event that you are surprised you made it to the other side okay? Where fear and panic were part of your life and finding a sense of calm seems unreachable?


On Wednesday I traveled the most scary commute home from work. What should be an easy 20 minute drive was 2 hours filled with terror, fear, and panic. It is something I never hope to have to relive again. Only to arrive home to find out two of our three children made it home from school. A feeling of fear washed over me like I have never experienced in my life. After a few phone calls I learned Miss Sarah was safe at school and in an emergency lock down...thank you God for keeping her safe.


Our home was built in 1900 with a brownstone foundation. We knew we would get water in the basement and we were prepared. We were not prepared for no power and smoke detectors on all 4 levels going off...

The fire-department was wonderful and inspected the house for hot spots and safety. After their inspection and assistance with the basement we were safe to return. We were lucky...some of our friends have not been as lucky.

This video tells the story....


The week our church posted this message:
"May the words of Jeremiah 29:11 bring comfort in knowing that God promises, "I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you..." (The Message)"

(This babbling brook turned into a raging river behind our church)

As soon as things dry out and return to a "normal" I will share some of our before and after pictures from the last year!

15 comments:

Pine Tree Home said...

These rains have put a hurting on a lot of people. I am always amazed at what water can do, and how quickly. Glad to hear that you and your family are safe.

Kansas Amy said...

I am so glad to hear that your family is safe!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Congrats on one year and wish it came at a better time for you. Hope you dry out soon. I have never experienced flooding like that. My son did last year in Nashville. Hope your weekend is better.

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜@ Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing said...

Congrats on the one year Wendy. Time sure flies. So sorry to hear and see this horrific flooding. I hope and pray things work out soon for you all.

Deb {Confessions of an Ugly Mom} said...

I don't know what happened to the house on Pine Road through this, but I can't imagine it's good. Glad that one wasn't to be and that your new home weathered the storm. And that all in your house are safe.

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Very scary....so glad to hear you are all ok. What an awful experience.

Felicity said...

I'm so pleased to learn that you and your family are safe.
Our state of Queensland [Australia] was ravaged by similar flooding at the start of the year so I know first hand how frightening it is and the devastation that can be wreaked in such a short time.

I hope that you have a strong community who will pitch in to help each other move through this disaster.

Best wishes for all that lays ahead,
Felicity x

Paula said...

What a scary day you had! I'm happy that your kids were safe and your home was, too. Hope the water levels go down this weekend. Scary stuff in your area!

Beth @ Dirty Laundry said...

Happy (?) Anniversary to your family. I hope you get everything cleaned up and back in running order quickly, glad to hear Sarah made it home safely...sounds like your drive was scary, glad you made it home safely too!

Jane Doe said...

So glad you made it home in that horrific downpour! So glad our girls were safe in the school too, and that the older kids got home before the worst of it. It's a day we will never forget!

Amy said...

Remembered where you lived and saw pics today so I just stopped over to see how you made out. Glad everyone is ok.

Karen said...

I get heart palpatations at the idea of that 2 hour drive. I am so thankful you made it home safe and in one piece. And Happy Anniversary!

corners of my life said...

Scary indeed. We are traveling to Philadelphia for the weekend and have kept a close eye on your flooding. It is one thing to see it on the news and feel so sorry for those involved - it is another thing to me in the middle of it. Hoping everything gets back to normal for you soon.

Made In The South said...

I can not even imagine how you felt when you arrived home...
hope that this week brings you some sunny skies.
Congrads on one year, looking forward to seeing all your projects.

Melissa Miller said...

Wendy I am sad and sorry to see this. I hope and pray everything will return to normal as soon as possible.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity