Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sea Shell Ornaments.....


What do you do with all those shells you collect at the beach? We usually bring them home and place them in a jar, the kids put them in their room, or we try to find a craft to make with them. This year, Maddie and I were shopping and spotted a Christmas ornament idea. We were pretty sure we could recreate them. Do you do this when you shop....see something you like and think to yourself...I can make that? We do this a lot, the problem is we do not always follow through with project.  This year we did!!

I didn't take too many picture of the whole process, but I will as we paint more. I think you'll get the concept!

Step 1: Wash your shells and dry them with a paper towel.

Step 2: Gather your children and your supplies (we try to paint outside when we can...we are known to be a little messy sometimes!)

Step 3: Paint!
(not quite sure what I was trying to capture in this picture, but you can see the beginning stages of the little Santa to the right)

Santa....

 Step 4: Use a glue gun to glue the ribbon onto the shell.

Trial and Error: On the large shell I glued the ribbon in the back to form a loop. When I hung it up the shell tips forward...needed to add two dots of glue at the top of the shell, too.

Snowmen...

Merry Christmas!
(Hee Hee)

9 comments:

Jane Doe said...

So clever and crafty!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Those are cute, Wendy. I bet your kids love making those.

Leann said...

Hi Wendy

What a wonderful way to make the treasures into something even more memorable.

Leann

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜@ Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing said...

This is such a cute craft idea Wendy! You can see the kids were enjoying it.

Natasha in Oz said...

Well, you know that I love anything to do with Christmas so this post has made me so happy! I love this idea and what a great family project too. You are so clever Wendy!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Paula said...

Cute! Your kids will think back to their fun 2011 beach trip each Christmas when these are hung on the tree.

Christine said...

Found treasures!
Love it. Making things out of found treasures is fun and crafty.

Made In The South said...

What a fun project, believe it or not I am ready to start those Christmas projects.
They look like they had a great time working on those. Great tip on placing the ribbon hanger. I can not tell you how many projects that I have done and then realize they have to be altered to work.
Melissa

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Such clever idea, Wendy. I might have to copy it ;)
Have a happy midweek xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity