Tuesday, June 14, 2011

An experiment....

As many of you know, our fish died this winter. At least 100 or more fish did not survive the long winter and frozen pond. We have learned there were too many fish for our pond and the ice trapped the nitrogen and caused a lack of oxygen, which caused the sad demise of our fish. It did provide a unique opportunity to pull out the big guns and treat the pond for algae. Algae is slowly becoming my nemesis...along with skunk cabbage.

This leads me to my story...we went with my mom to the garden shop and the kids spotted gold fish. I wasn't going to buy any fish, but the nice elderly gentleman told the kids he thought goldfish would live in the pond. Yes, you heard me right....gold fish. Thank you, Mr. Salesman. At $6.00 a fish, we brought 3 home...one for each child. Mr. Salesman told me he was thinking one fish, but he thought it was nice for me to buy 3. Apparently he doesn't realize one fish and three children is not good mathematics!

Here are our little guys (and girls)...the kids are hoping for babies....

My Miss Sarah had the privilege of adding the fish to the pond...



There you go...your are free...

See those two orange dots?
Maybe if you squint...
there you go...
see them now?

Wonder what the neighbors will think?

Hoping this guy doesn't enjoy them for a snack....


That would be Miss Sarah with the net in search of a baby turtle she saw yesterday...
and maybe a goldfish or two...
No turtle today, buy she did find some tadpoles....



Sarah started to worry our friendly (ha ha) snake is going to danger her babies...
she pulled out the big guns....DAD!
No luck...snake gone...fish gone...turtles gone....
You know what this means don't you?
We are going to have to take the canoe out
to get a closer look...
and that is mom's job!

We'll keep you updated!

9 comments:

Karen said...

I love to see the big goldfish in a pond! I wonder how big they will get?

Christine said...

This is such a warm, loving story.
Please let us know how Sarah is doing.
That last picture is heart breaking.

Natasha said...

I am not a nature girl at all so many of these pics made me rather squeamish...especially that snake! You guys are very brave!

Have fun and stay safe!

Best wishes,
Natasha.
xo

corners of my life said...

Amazing photos for this story.
My fingers are crossed for the fish.

Made In The South said...

Snakes = Scary
Please tell me that is not a poisonous one.
Goldfish can grow to be very large, can't wait to hear your update.
Also LOVE the picture of her sitting on the canoe.

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Oh no! Gold fish are never a friendly memory in our house. We never had luck with them...like the next day GONE! That was one big frog!

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Hope your Goldfish have a long and productive life! They get big and make lots of little goldfish...
I love that picture of your daughter on the canoe!
Anticipation. Don't you love it?

Pat

Beth @ Dirty Laundry said...

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for Sarah that the gold fish are alive and well!

Pamela said...

Poor baby! That snake would so have to go!! They creep me out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity