Friday, March 4, 2011

Coconut Cream Pie (and Banana Cream Pie).....

Lil Tony asked to make a Coconut Cream Pie the other day and how could I say no. He is doing a fabulous job in the kitchen and really enjoying this new found cooking skills! If the Food Network is wondering if he is available, the answer is yes, just kidding....of course. Although he said he would be willing to join Bobby Flay in a Throw Down!!
Ingredients:
Crust:
1 refrigerated pie crust

Vanilla Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2Tbls margarine or butter
2 tsp vanilla

Coconut Cream Pie:
Stir 1 cup of coconut into cooked filling with the margarine and vanilla.

Banana Cream Pie:
(for my friend Beth)
Cool filling in saucepan to lukewarm. Slice 2 or 3 bananas into cooled baked shell. Pour filling over bananas.

Step 1:
Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare pie crust for one-crust baked shell using 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 9-11 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 30 minutes or until completely cooled.

Step 2:
In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; mix well. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Step 3:
Stir about 1/4 cup hot mixture into egg yolks. Gradually stir yolk mixture into hot mixture. Cook just until mixture begins to bubble, stirring constantly.

Step 4:
Remove from heat; stir in margarine and vanilla. Pour into cooled baked shell. Refrigerate 3 hours or until set. If desired, top with whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.

(Recipe from Pillsbury Best Desserts)

Here is a video of Lil T following Step 3:

(next time we'll remember to turn off the TV and let little sister know we're "on the air")

Served on our best China....because that's how we roll! And sometimes I just dislike doing dishes!

5 comments:

Linda said...

He did a great job...looks SO delicious!

Beth @ Dirty Laundry said...

Yum! Next make banana cream pie, that's my favorite!

Destination Seaborn said...

Yum-MY! This brings back memories of my grandmother. She helped me bake a coconut cream pie for a school competition and I won first place! This recipe will definately go in my favorites to try soon. Thanks for sharing! P.S. Your house looks great! Lisa

Love the Decor! said...

Oh YUM!! I haven't had coconut cream pie in years
Think I may have to make this one: )

Rodney said...

Way to go teach him while he is young! I was taught to when I was young and am hopefully a blessing to my wife at times today as I can help out in the kitchen!!!:)

Anyways, my wifes name is Annette (pastors wife)and she just opened her blog to public setting as she wants to be an encouragement and blessing to people (she is also hoping to do giveaways). I was trying to be an encouragement to her by asking if you would be willing to swing by and say hi as she does not know many people in the blog world? Thank you for considering. Her blog is

http://continuedwonder.blogspot.com/

Thank You,
Rodney(Annette's husband)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity