Sunday, January 23, 2011

Eat, sleep, play....

Please forgive us,  we are behind on recipe posts and I don't have any great project to share. I only have one excuse and his name is Blue. Yes, my dear friends raising a puppy has stopped us in our tracks. There are days we feel like we have gone back to the days of having a toddler. Let me explain....


1. Puppy Proofing the House: We needed to get down on all fours and crawl around the house looking for those interesting objects which Blue will want to chew. Keep all doors closed to prevent the puppy from entering. If you hear silence, there is a good chance Blue has found something to chew....


2. Teach the Do's Nobody likes to hear the word "no" all day and neither does Blue. Cheerios's have been our choice of treats. Distraction and positive reinforcement goes a long way.


3. Stock up on paper towels: No explanation needed....


4. Have fun buying new puppy toys: Lots of puppy toys, to have them destroyed and then go shopping again.

What is your guess....ball or slipper?


5. Teach older sibling how to share: It is tough to be the only dog and have all the attention, and then need to learn how to share. Over time Lily has learned it is good to have a built in playmate....and sharing the couch really isn't that bad.




6. A puppy can out smart you: Just when I think all my bases are covered, Blue does it again and sneaks in and surprises me. For as slow as he looks, he is one quick puppy.

7. Sleepless nights: Week one Blue woke every 2 hours to go outside...in the cold...in the snow. Week two we only needed to get up 3 times a night. Week two my co-workers asked my way I looked so tired. One word....puppy!  I am happy to report Blue is sleeping through the night!


8. How to deal with crying and a fussy puppy at night: Co-sleeping, I know it was a bad habit to start, but I do need to get to work and have full night of sleep.  I also realized my husband still knows how to pretend he is asleep when the baby puppy wakes.

9. Wear them out: Walk him, run him, play with him!


10. Shh.....baby is sleeping:Whisper, tip toe, don't look at him, don't walk by him....and if you wake him....he is now your responsibility!

11. Are you on? This was one of our favorite lines when the kids were little, "Are you on?"  because I'm not! He is on your watch......because you know as soon as you turn your head he is eating your furniture.


12. Give up on cleaning: Blue thinks the broom is a toy, isn't the paper towel for me to chew and I love to bark at the vacuum. Muddy paws on clean floors, dog hair, spilled water bowls...what did I miss?

13. Wear them out: Again and again and again.

And we'll do it all again tomorrow!

Linking to DebbieDoo's Pet Party

23 comments:

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

In spite of it all Wendy, you are making me want another dog. Gosh is Blue ever so cute. He fits right in the family, and knows it!~ Thanks for sharing him with us.

Vicki said...

Wendy, I'm in love with Blue. We have two Bassets at the party. They are our third and fourth Bassets in past 12 years. I'd have a heard if Paul would let me. This post is hilarious. I love the sleeping pose on his back. All four of our Bassets did the same thing. One still sleeps on her back all the time. So,so cute. I'm sure his ears are constantly wet and sticky and he probably trips over them too?! I miss that. Take care!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Love this post!!! Puppies are so much fun! The picture of him sleeping on his back is just too cute. :)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like you have your hands full with a lot of love-enjoy:@)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wendy, how adorable and cute cute post. It brought back memories of much lost sleep when we got Bailey. Bailey was my first inside puppy. I was exhausted and we got her Dec. 7 with me putting out Christmas decorations. She was good about leaving the tree alone, but like you anything left out was hers to chew. She also chewed window sills, baseboards and window trim.

Jess said...

LOVE! :) So adorable. Our boys are both grown, and thats how we adopted them, I've had puppies, and I'll be honest, I love my big boys! hehe!

Jude@ThisJewels4You said...

OMG....great photos and commentary. love the dogs. Can never have enough. I have two and if I could I would have more....but then I'm not sure if I would have a husband....some days that is a wish...only kidding..I think.. Jude

Donnie said...

That was the cutest post especially the bedroom scene with the kids...lol...Both your pets are beautiful.

Midcenturymadam said...

I love his big spotted paws! He is such a toddler. For all the trouble they cause, I adore toddlers...human, canine, feline, they are all so very lovable.

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Ahhhh I do remember the joys of having a puppy. I always say...its a good thing they are so cute or you'd kill em. But I love puppies so much...yes...its always exciting when they start sleeping through the night. He's so cute.....oh...makes me want a puppy...even with all the added extra work. I love them so much. Blue is soooo cute.

ChRiS said...

what a cute bundle....i gave my parents a basset yrs ago Missy has now pasted on but for 2 people thinking they don't like them long stinky ears....they sure did love her... i remember them saying "wasn't a day this damn dog don't make us laugh"

HollyC said...

He is so precious! I love his name! We started to name our puppy Blue, but the kids decided on Flash! Thanks for sharing your 'babies' with us!
Blessings,
~Holly

dee dee said...

Oh Wendy!
What a great sweety pie! I can fully understand why you are so busy, and most likely tired! I'm hoping you are able to grab a rest when Blue does! Your photos are wonderful, what's not to love! Have a great week!
Dee Dee

the cape on the corner said...

oh my goodness, how adorable! the pic of the older sibling and the new pup on opposite sides of the couch was too funny. good luck with them!

Erin said...

I love this post!!! And Blue is so flippin' adorable!!

But it reinforces why I can't ever have a puppy!! LOL

Karen said...

I can't decide what I love best, his spotted paws, big floppy ears or huge brown eyes... he is precious! I look back at the baby Lucas pics and cannot BELIEVE he was ever so small. The toddler phase will be over before you know it!

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

Just came across your blog tonight~ it's so pretty! I really enjoyed the pictures of your puppy...too adorable!
Beth

Linda said...

I love your Blue, Wendy! Before our pugs, we had three bassets...they are the cutest puppies! I used to laugh so hard when they'd step on their own ears! Love Blue's adorable big paws, and your dogs are so precious sleeping on the couch together! Thanks for your sweet comment on my pug post!

Rene said...

Oh I could just scoop him up and squeeze him! What a darling and I think he found a wonderful family to love him and teach him the ropes.

-Rene

Nicole ~ said...

Oh my goodness, this is to cute! I can so relate! Blue is absolutely precious!

Kylie said...

I'm new to your blog - but what an ADORABLE puppy (good thing they're cute, right?!). How precious!

Leslie @ goodbye, house! HELLO, HOME! said...

Aw! I adore your new baby!
He didn't look so small in the first pictures, but next to his older sibling, he is wittle.
I love the picture of Blue sleeping on his back on the sofa--that is a hoot....SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
How fun!
~me

Anonymous said...

Visiting your site and found this lovely post. Your pup is so adorable. I especially like the photo you caught of him sleeping on his back on the couch. I remember when my dog was in her puppyhood. The first year or so was like a child's terrible twos on steroids! :-)

Best wishes with your new family member.

Monique

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity