Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Slept on it.....

One evening, Nov 12th to be exact, I was sitting on the couch watching television. Nothing harmful with watching a little TV before bed, right? That was until I started looking at the red walls in the Den and thinking they needed repainted a different color.  The red was reminding me of McDonald's, which isn't a bad color, just not the color I am looking for in the den. Tony's advice was to sleep on it which I did. I am sure he was hoping I would forget about it by morning! If only my brain turned off that easily. As I laid in bed thinking through all my options, do you do this? I remembered the tutorial Shanty2Chic did on "easy accent paneling." Yes, at 2am I am searching for the post with the tutorial!  Now, I couldn't wait for morning to arrive to start this project! Poor Tony had no idea what was coming!

This is a picture of what the room looked like when we toured the home with our Realtor back in June.

Here we are moving day, Sept 9, 2010.
I sewed these curtains at the being of Nov. and after hanging them I started to think it was too much red.

We followed the tutorial on Shanty2Chic for hanging the board and batten.
Shanty2Chic's directions are awesome.
All material came to a total cost of $93.00!
I did all the measuring and Tony did all the cutting.
We used 1x6 for the horizontal boards
and 1x4 for the vertical boards
and a 1x2 on top of the 1x6 to create a ledge.
We spaced the 1x4's 15 inches apart.
To hang the board and batten Tony used liquid nails and finish nails.
Easy as pie!

Here we are with the boards in place and one coat of paint.
It took 3 coats to cover the red!

And here we are today!
Aww...you don't need sunglasses any more to look at my photo's!

I made these shelves a few years ago following the tutorial on Beneath My Heart.
The shelves use to be white in our old house, but I thought black worked nice,
since on the other side of the room we have a black desk.

This room functions as our office, but also as Sarah's toy room.
Her barbie house doesn't fit in her room since her and Maddie share a room.
That's okay, I enjoy hearing her play barbies and will be sad when the day
comes that doll house is no longer played with.
I hoping for a few more years of it living in the den.
Do you see the suitcases?

They hold Sarah's Barbies and American Doll clothe.
This is the perfect solution for my Sarah!
She is on the move and now she just grabs her suitcase
and off to her friends house with everything nice and neat!
Of course I sometimes do wonder what some of the neighbors think
when she is running to her friends house with her suitcase in hand!

Here she is moving in! It looks so much prettier than the white plastic bin we use to use!


Remember our desk that was delivered in 800 pieces?
Finally together and we are loving it!

Here is a view looking into the family room.

And another view into the family room.

So happy I slept on it!
Sometimes the best ideas come when we lay down and
have no distractions! Do you agree?
Sweet Dreams or Sweet Planning!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you join me at

34 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wendy, I love it. I love board and batten added to a room. I have wanted some or beadboard to my powder room and can't get the man to do it. He put in the board and batten in the grandbaby's nursery. I guess the young ones come first, but he has to live with me. ha ha Thanks for linking this up!

Beth @ Dirty Laundry said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Wendy, I'm so glad you slept on it!

Jen said...

Beautiful- my mind is always going a mile a minute when I lay in bed- that is my only quiet time to think

Debbie said...

WOW you are good. It is one thing to think about it or like you said sleep on it, but to actually do it, and have it look that amazing! I'm impressed...I love it!

Rene said...

This room looks great Wendy! And this is the perfect solution - office/playroom - because you can be with the kiddos. I really want to try the batten board.

-Rene

southerninspirationsblog said...

Just perfect! You did a beautiful job and the red is a great accent color now. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

I love the board and batten. I completely transformed that room. And it's perfect for your style of house. I'm not a fan of it in all homes because it doesn't go with the style of the home. But it certainly goes with your's.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This looks amazing. What a huge transformation! And, the desk is so pretty, too! We put board and batten in our dining room and it's my favorite room in the house.

The Inspired Nest said...

The board & batten is perfect for that space. I love it with the red paint. What a great relief. I too am up in the middle of the night searching the internet for ideas I have seen. I think it is a disease!
Lacy

Midcenturymadam said...

Wow! What a difference. Well done. Happy to know I am not alone in my middle of the night makeovers.

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

So pretty! I love the board and batten. My best ideas come to me at night or in the shower. :)

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wendy, the room looks fantastic!! What a difference the board and batten make. It really adds a finished look to the room. So glad you went for it!

Karen said...

I love it!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I just love the board and batten. The new paint color is definitely a softer color and I like it so much better! Great job!

stephanie said...

I need you to move into my place for a couple of nights and see what you can come up with! You are amazing my friend!! Can't wait to see it in person!!

Olive Cooper said...

That is off the chain...love it. Looks like it cost a fortune and the red is balanced now. Your drapes are so pretty. merry♥O

dee dee said...

Oh I just love the new look! It now has the perfect amount of fun red! Wayne and I used the same batten board technique in our laundry room and everytime I pass the room it makes me smile!
Great idea with the toy storage in the old suitcases! What a great way to turn your "dreams" into reality!
Dee Dee

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

That is an icredible transformation! Great job!!

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Cozy and warm, comes first to my mind when seeing your pretty pictures, Wendy.
I love love your Christmas tree! xxx

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

It's awesome! One of the best transformations I've seen in a while. You should be proud of your hard work. It really paid off! And let me guess. That's your daughter on her cell phone in the last picture? Cute!

Corners of My Life said...

I am amazed that you can take on these massive projects and make them sound so doable. I love the new look.

Sleep on it? The other night I solved three clues in my crossword while sleeping - go figure!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Very nice! I love sweet dreams, too...and beautiful decor! the RED really works for me, too! All of that wonderful energy! Happy holidays! ♥

Terry said...

Wow, it looks so good. Glad you shared. Terry

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Wendy it is BEAUTIFUL!! I absolutely love what you did!! I just did a board and batten in my boys bathroom to help cover the 'girly' wallpaper! I love the look- you did a wonderful job! :)

the cape on the corner said...

holy moly, fanTAStic makeover! i'm sure your eyes thank you, lol. i love the black and white that you used in there.

www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

I LOVE THE BOARD AND BATTEN!!! I am obsessed with this idea and have been for years. Thanks for showing how your project progressed and how lovely the outcome was. You have to look at my blog and how I've recently gotten rid of all the red in my kitchen! It can be overpowering and just look cheap if there's too much of it - so what you've done with the boards and the black and white window treatments is perfect! Love it! I'm a new follower, hopefully you'll check my blog out and follow me back too ;)

Michelle

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Just stopping back to say Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

...............Michele @ Portlandia Vintage said...

You have already increased the value of your new house! (Even in today's market!) Your work is so beautifully done. I thinking of my kitchen, or my upstairs studio . . .

AmericKim said...

Gorgeous and love your decorations!

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic said...

Beautiful and CLASSY!!!

Pamela said...

Wendy that room turned out soo beautifully! I just love it! Sorry to hear abt your grandma! Mine passed away in May of 02 and I I hate that she never got to meet my boys. I know she would have just loved them to pieces. Many hugs!

Joy McMillan said...

Gosh, you're creative!! Love the black and white brocade (so similar to the table cloth I turned into a shower curtain for our guest bathroom) with the bright paint!
Thanks for stopping by my blog...so glad to have discovered you!

Jenny said...

Oh Wendy, I love that paneling! I have to show this to my husband... maybe this is what we'll do when we redo our kitchen.

charlesalvarez23 said...

Wow! I like this post it was cool and the room was gorgeous, I love red color. Thank you and keep posting.




condo manila

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity