Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The little things....


On Monday I sat in the SICU at the hospital holding my Grandmothers hand. As much as I believe and trust in God, he always finds ways to surprise me and let me see his hand at work. Arriving at the hospital the nurse was giving Granny a bath and I was more than happy to not be a nurse at that moment, but a granddaughter there to help. The nurse, myself, and Granny laughed about the kids, her kids and mine. A mother will always be a mother...even at 83 and your children are in their 60's. The sparkle in her eye and the smile on her face as I named each of her 6 children said it all. Thank you, God for allowing this special moment.

The family is praying and difficult decisions are being made.

My Grandmother slipped into a peaceful sleep and as I sat looking at her sleep, I couldn't but help think of my life, choices, and paths taken.  I almost missed coming to the hospital, because I was too busy...too busy...when does life get that busy...and the things that really matter get lost?

When the little things get lost?

As I sat beside her I mentally listed those little things....

The 5-10 minutes every morning I spend with God....listening for his voice.
The warm cup of coffee Tony greets me with every morning.
The morning smile from my teen...even when she is tired and grumpy!
Miss Sarah singing at the top of her lungs...a song she is making up as she goes along.
Hearing (Big) Tony downstairs singing a song, one he is making up as he goes along.
Lil Tony still giving me a bear hug and kiss before I leave for work.
Watching the kids giggle and laugh with each other.
Having a husband that smiles when he pulls into the driveway.
Enjoying nature and the wildlife that visits our yard every night.
Family dinner...mess and all!
Reading with the kids in bed every evening.
Listening to the kids say their prayers.
Watching my children peacefully sleep.
Spending time with Tony recounting our day.
Knowing my mom is only a phone call away.
Being able to start this all over tomorrow.

These little things make up the important big picture.


There was a time when I didn't pay attention to the little things, when I let the hustle and bustle of my day get in the way. The price is high when the little things are lost.

What are the little things you are thankful for? 

And thank you God for letting them not get lost....

12 comments:

dee dee said...

Wendy,
Beautiful!
It matters....
When I stop long enough to take stock... my world is over flowing with thankful blessings!
God Bless my dear friend
and Happy Thanksgiving.
Dee Dee

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Beautiful post. I'm thankful for all the wonderful people I have in my life and that includes all my new friends through blogs. They have made this last year...which was a rough one...a little easier.

Rene said...

You are right about the little things Wendy. They make all the difference in the world. Beautiful post.

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Rene

Deb {Confessions of an Ugly Mom} said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Granny, Wendy. Looks like we're facing the same difficult family circumstances this holiday. So I'm off to the hospital to visit Granddad, though he won't know I'm there, and pick up Grandma for Thanksgiving dinner -- her first without her husband of 70 years by her side. Yes, we have to hold on to and pay attention to and cherish all the little things. Even after 70 years, there are never enough of them.

Hugs to you, dear friend.

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Condolences in the passing of your grandmother. This was a beautiful post. I have so much to be thankful for. And you're right. It's the little things that mean the most. Blessings to you and yours!

Debbie said...

Oh Wendy, that was so beautiful!~ My thoughts are with you at this time, I miss my Grandparents still after many many many years..they are a blessing to have and so many wonderful memories they leave in our hearts, it just warms me now to think about it. XXX000

Jess said...

Wendy,
I share in your sentiments. I too have been in your place, and it can be hard. Please know I am praying for you and your family during this time. It can be good to have a little perspective on life. I know that as I was reading this I was struck with the thought of how many things I take for granted that I do everyday, but if I live to be 80, I only see 80 thanksgivings, 80 christmas-s, 80 falls, 80 summers.... It really makes me appreciate everything I have. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful message with us all. :)
-Jess

Jen said...

so sorry Wendy- you will never forget the choice you made to be there. coming so close to losing tyson I sympathize more with people I know or don't even know. it makes you see things differently.

Maria M. Boyer said...

I think blogs should follow the lead of Facebook: they need a "like" button. <3

Corners of My Life said...

These little things make up the important big picture. Those little things aren't so little after all are they. Thanks goodness for the lessons/events/joys that bring us back.

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing this touching story. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your Grandmother. Life is definately in the little things we do with and for each other, everyday. Thanks for the reminder!

Leslie @ goodbye, house! HELLO, HOME! said...

Hi!
I'll bet you wonder what happened to me, LOL!
I loved this sweet post.
Especially being thankful for the singing--I love to hear my family sing--it warms my heart, too.
I miss my Gram who is now in Florida.
I need to call her and be encouraged.
When you said she slipped into sleep, you meant she is just sleeping, right?
I need to call you soon and chat!
Can I?
Love, me
P.S. I am thankful for YOU!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity