Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Kitchen Table Makeover

Do you remember it all started with a picture? One little inspirational picture led me on the search for a way to recreate the kitchen seating area.  Our kitchen seems to be the place where everyone congregates and visits. We try to use the family room, but some how we slowly migrate back to the kitchen. Does this happen in your home? 


Our before picture was taken in September after moving in. The kitchen table would stay. It is sturdy and I like the finish. The chairs are large and made the space feel small. Replacing the chairs became my challenge.


One of the inspirational photo's I loved was from Pottery Barn and the picture included a bench, but Pottery Barn no longer sold the bench. Sigh.. Luckily Ballard's does still carry a bench! It was a little splurge, but I was keeping the table...it all balanced out in my mind!

It also contains hidden storage!
Even better!!

Okay, since I spent my budget on the bench my dilemma grew, because I still needed (wanted) chairs.

Did I tell you an auction house is at the end of our road? Tony doesn't think this is the best thing for us, I on the other hand think it is awesome! The girls and I walked up to just take a look!

There was a set of 6 chairs for auction and they looked brand new! Let the bidding begin!

Guess what girls....
I got all 6 chairs for $135! During the bidding my hands were sweating, my heart was racing and I felt like I was going to faint. Someone was bidding against me....I was so nervous I couldn't even look to see who it was!

Woo Hoo...phone call to Tony to tell him he needed to pick us up and 6 chairs!

The seat cover is actually a light green color. It is pretty, but doesn't match the other colors going on in the kitchen.  Back to Ballards and ordered fabric by the yard to cover the chairs....

It has become one of our favorite places to sit and hang out.
Here is a close up of the table. I finished it a few years ago. Painted it white and used stain to give it an aged look. Sanded in places to add to the distressing feeling.  It is the perfect table for kids....I never worry about dents and scratches!


Here is the Boring Before.....


and the After....


Thanks for stopping by!

Will you join me at the following parties...





22 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wendy, I am loving that bench and chairs with the black gingham fabric. That is the same tan fabric on my Ballards bench and lampshades and pillows in my bedroom. I do love their stuff, but not some of their prices or shipping fees. You table looks great with the bench and chairs. Good job. Thanks for linking to my party!

Marsha's Mpressions said...

Oh, I love the bench and chairs! That bench with storage is so practical. I'll bet it's comfy too.

Karen said...

Wendy I cannot believe those are auction chairs! I love them! When we were talking about the fabric, I thought the chairs came from Ballards.... what a super-find! The kitchen looks great!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

You have given me an idea...hmmm....I love this! Thank you for sharing.

Debbie said...

Great job Wendy...loving that bench too!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I LOVE that bench! Everything else looks fantastic too, but that bench is my favorite!

Pondside said...

I love a bench in a kitchen. We had an old church pew in our kitchen for years until we passed it along to our son. I still have a bench in mind - I like the idea of linen storage!

ButterYum said...

Great redo - gotta love anything from Ballard. And those chairs - reminder to self... check out local auction house more often!!

:)
ButterYum

Tammy said...

So gorgeous! Wow did you ever score on those chairs. And the bench is adorable! Love benches. Great makeover!

~ Lisa ~ said...

I love your table and chairs and the bench. I love how you pulled your tables together by purchasing matching fabric. Isn't a great feeling to know how much your family loves to spend their time there? Thanks for the inspiration.

~ Lisa from Indiana ~

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Stopping by from the Boring to Better party!! What a great transformation!! It looks like it all came from PB!! I also love your cottage kitchen! Great job!

dee dee said...

Wendy,
How beautiful! I love the finished product! How blessed you were to find such great chairs for such a great price! They look so comfortable too, which is important for kitchen chairs! Perfect!
Dee Dee

Deb {Confessions of an Ugly Mom} said...

Did someone say AUCTION!?!?!?!?

They look great.

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Love the bench with your table and chairs. I'm really attracted to black and white fabric, and your toile and check are so pretty.

Southern Queen Bee said...

WoW looks great! Love the bench, gosh good thing I don't live on your street. We would be at that auction every week. LOL

Jen said...

your house is looking AWESOME!

Shelia said...

Hi Wendy. Oh, your little bench looks wonderful and I really like the black and white checks. How smart of you to order the same fabric for you pretty new chair seats. You have a pretty kitchen!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I lovelovelove it. The checks are perfect and it just looks like it goes and fits in that kitchen. I'm really drooling over the bench. I want one. ;)

Pamela said...

Loving the new chairs Wendy!! You did a fantastic job! I am always a sucker for toile.

Lounging with a Latte said...

You've done a great job, I really enjoyed seeing the before and after shots, it looks really nice. That is a real bonus having the storage space under the bench seat.

Kim said...

Love it Wendy! Your kitchen is delightful and I love seeing the kiddos at the table doing their homework. Have a great weekend and an awesome Thanksgiving!
xoxo,
Kim

Healthy Branscoms said...

I love your blog! :) I became a new follower! Erin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity