Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thanksgiving Cards...

This idea comes from  a preschool project one of the kids made years ago. Preschool teachers are awesome. I was always amazed with the projects the teachers completed with a room full of three year old's!!  This was one of my favorites. We have used it a few times over the years to make Thanksgiving day cards for family.

Supplies:
Paper
Paint
Paint Brushes
Scissors
Glue

I let the kids pick the colors they wanted for the Turkey's feathers...

Next we painted the palm of the hand and thumb yellow.
The fingers will be the feathers...


After the entire hand is painted we pressed Lil Tony's hand on the paper...
(not a commercial for Dr. Pepper)

Here is what Tony's hand looks like after we made his hand print...

And here is a finished hand print....
Add a brown dot for the eye
and paint a squiggly red line for
the gobbler thing....
Do you know what it is called?

To make them into a card I glued it first on the card stock.
We're not mailing them,
so I wasn't worried about it fitting into an envelope.
I cut the card stock to make a card.
Our card measures 6"x6"

Finished Card # 1....

Finished Card # 2....

Maddie wanted to frame her hand print...

Now that we are all finished Lil Tony just informed me that our turkey's are
flying turkeys, because we forgot to give them legs! Ha Ha!!
So, if you would like your turkey's to be able to walk around,
you may want to add legs!!


Cherished and blessed are these days with the kids,
because I know they are not little forever.

How Thankful I am for this gift to be a mom!

Join me in these fun parties...

 is hosting a 6 week DIY challenge...
I loved it last year and I am sure it is going to
be a blast this year!

always a beautiful party...
full of inspirational photo's.

29 comments:

Shannon said...

I remember doing this as a kid! Awesome project for them to get involved in. And nice handwriting!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This is such a great project for kids! I love it. And I love the picture of him laughing. Looks like fun.

Thanks for joining in this week! I really appreciate it!

Rene said...

So cute Wendy! And it sure brings back memories.

I popped over to see if you had posted your new paint job, but you might still be working on it. I'll stay tuned :)

-Rene

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wendy, those are too precious. I can tell they enjoyed making them, too. That would be a good before and after for my party too.

Kristen White said...

These are so cute! I remember making those in elementary school myself :o)
Kristen

Haley said...

I also remember making these a a child, yet it hadn't crossed my mind to make these with my children. I think we may attempt this tomorrow! Thanks for the idea.

Michael - Innkeeper said...

aren't kids crafts the best!

love these. my nephew painted me a picture and i actually have it framed and in my kitchen. it's my favorite artwork!

longbrakeliving said...

These are adorable! I wanted to make a turkey with hand prints out of paper, but it didn't turn out quite like I expected. Paint on the hand of a 5 month old is more dangerous than I want to be, but I might try this next year!

Debbie said...

Love this idea....do you know I still have so many of my boys projects saved...the preschool ones are my fav!

Jen@Notes From the Heartland said...

My little guy did this project at preschool too! I love the idea of framing them with the children's names and the year...what a great keepsake to pull out each year.

T's Daily Treasures said...

I did this every year with my classed when I was teaching preK and kindergarten and did it one year with my own kids for Thanksgiving cards. Your's turned out great. There's also a Santa one where you do palm up, the fingers are the beard and the thumb is the end of his hat. Always turns out cute. Best wishes for your week. :) Tammy

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Oh I remember doing these crafts with my boys when they were younger. Lots of fun and good memories.

Snap said...

So much fun ... for kids and adults! Happy Turkey Day! :D :D

bj said...

These are just precious.

Porch Days said...

Very cute cards. It is wonderful you take the time to do such things with the children. You're right. They grow up quickly!
Nancy

Corners of My Life said...

I love the collage of all the photos. Very clever!

Heather said...

What a fabulous idea. Thanks so much for sharing.

Elizabeth @ Ucreate with Kids said...

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Meri said...

Oh so sweet! This is a great way to preserve memories.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

This is such a special project. Your cards turned out great!

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Super cute! And can I just say that your handwriting is exquisite?

Lucky Girl said...

So sweet! And I'll echo the above comment - your handwriting is impeccable!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

These cards are so cute and look like lots of fun. A great little keepsake, too!

Pondside said...

What a cute idea - I have a feeling that some day soon I'll be getting something like this from my oldest grandson.
You're blessed in your enjoyment of motherhood - it is a wonderful time of life and I am so happy when I 'meet' someone who is loving it!

~marci said...

Thanks for the great idea, Wendy, I always loved when our kids were pre-schoolers and they made these! This would be perfect for our family gathering at Thanksgiving with several of the "new" generation in addition to the older kids! Happy Thanksgiving to your family~ aren't we are so very blessed.

Tammy said...

I forgot about this project! Too cute! I just posted a Thanksgiving project too. Something about the holidays just brings out the kid in everybody.
Lovin' your blog. It's beautiful. I'm your newest follower. Come visit me @
www.beatricebanks.blogspot.com

Ellie said...

I love this and am trying to get up the nerve to try it with my 3- and 1-year-olds... Hmm. Very cute!

dee dee said...

How creative and fantastic! These cards are beautiful!
Dee Dee

Barbara Cook said...

what an amazing idea for the card! so beautiful and unique, such a perfect Thanksgiving greetings for the Turkey day. thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity