Sunday, November 7, 2010

Garage Update

Proceed With Caution....should be the title of today's post. I haven't shared much about the garage, because it was pretty scary! This is what it looked like on moving day. Those refrigerators, not ours! The garage doors broken or missing. See the tire in the trailer...no idea what that was used for, but it is going to the dump!

Lets take a walk around the garage. I will warn you it only gets worse!  Since moving in we have learned the french doors use to be stable doors and this part of the garage was a stable for a horse named Ginger. Sarah now thinks we should own a horse.  I think sheep might be nice? Any thoughts?


We've been told the owners before us, removed all the white wooden siding and were in the process of siding the stables when they decided to sell. The decision to not finish siding the stable left the back exposed through the winter and now looks like this....


And the other side looking like this....

Isn't that just awful!

My mom and I have tackled this side bed and discovered a beautiful butterfly bush, black eyed susan's and cone flowers. We are anxious to see what other flowers come up in the spring.

So where do we start?


Thank goodness for dads! Dad started on the door for the garage!

Here we are with the garage door in and a pile of mulch for the house.
The two large white garage doors are not usable.
Since we found out that the garage was used as a barn and stable,
we thought it would be nice to have a carriage style garage door installed.

And here we are today with all doors installed and painted.





Since moving in the kids and I visited the historic society hoping to learn about The Pond House. We were happy to learn the garage is listed in the historic society and found in one of their books.




Back in the late 1800's there was a one room school house that sat beside The Pond House. In 1929 the one room school house burnt down from a brush fire. The owners of The Pond House bought the property in 1930. The brown stone from the school was used to build the garage. The extra stone is around the flower beds and the pond. Which explains why we are finding brown stone through out the property when weeding. We also learned the owners were the Fisher's, it would only be fitting to call The Pond House...The Fisher House!

While cleaning out the garage look what Tony found in the rafters....


Can't wait to get them down and take a closer look!

Next on the project list is to get the stable side of the garage closed
up before the first snow!



Excited to link to the following parties...

The DIY Show Off
















27 comments:

Adam and Wendy said...

WHOA!! The garage looks amazing...and the history is so cool...and the bottles!! MMM I'm ready to see what crafts you come up with! :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wendy, that garage is so unique. I love it and what a transformation with the carriage style doors. It looks wonderful. I love the rock on that, too.

Jess said...

Love the doors! It looks so nice! :) I think its really cool that you were able to find information about the property too-I love that kind of stuff. ALSO-I think you should get a goat or chickens. I'm trying to talk Hubby into chickens (eggs anyone?), but something about living in a subdivision and city limits...and that I haven't had time to be home with my last semester of nursing school....ugh. But, I love the transformation of the garage, which was the original point of my note. ;)

Shelia said...

Hi Wendy. Great transformation! Love those gorgeous doors.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pat said...

This is fabulous Wendy. Absolutely beautiful makeover!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Oh my goodness, it looks AMAZING. I love the doors you chose. They look perfect and like they were meant to be there. What a transformation already.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

wow- that garage is beautiful!!! love the stone... i dream of one day owning an old stone house. for now a 70's split foyer will have to do. ;)

dee dee said...

Wendy,
thank you for this post! I've been waiting to see the whole picture since you posted about this a while back! Your garage is just beautiful! The new doors are perfect for the style and I love that you were able to come up with a back ground for your "new" place! How cool! Have a great week!
Dee dee

Kristen White said...

Your garage is so charming....I love it! Those carriage doors look amazing too!
Kristen

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Love those carriage style garage doors. I'm wanting those myself. Looks like you are making headway.

Karen said...

I love those those garage doors! The front looks so beatiful, there is no need to walk around the back! :)

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Just stopping by from Met Monday. What an awesome story! I love how the garage is coming along. Those doors look perfect. It is a lot of work but worth it when it is done!

la maison LaFortune said...

I love your garage! I could live in that little building! So much charm and character. Will it still be used as a garage or studio/guest house??

One Shabby Old House said...

I love the garage doors. What a great choice! As you can see from my blog I love renovating too. One day I hope to get to our garage. And when I do I will certainly think about those carriage style doors.

Southern Queen Bee said...

How exciting to find a few great plants out there. LOVE the doors,they fit in so great!
Excited to see whose gonna win those cookies.

Love the Decor! said...

I love places with lots of history!!
The garage is gorgeous now!!

Corners of My Life said...

I love these fasinating stories about your new home. What a great adventure for you and your family. And . . . how lucky that your dad is so handy!

Kim said...

It's just the way I thought it would be Wendy - The Pond House. Filled with lots of history and treasures to be found in every nook. I can't believe what you've gotten done already. The garage doors look gorgeous!
xoxo,
Kim

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wendy, thanks so much for adding this wonderful before and after to my party tonight. I still love the look of those new doors.

It's a Wannabe Decorator's Life said...

Those doors are just beautiful!! What a neat building. It has so much character.

Kathy said...

This is the most fabulous garage I have ever seen, I just love the story behind it too, great post..coming from Savvy Kim

Pondside said...

I've never seen a garage quite like yours - it had great 'bones' and you have let it live up to its true potential.

Pamela said...

LOVING the doors Wendy! I am asking Santa to bring us two sets of carriage house hardware. I have been watching them for months on Ebay.

Porch Days said...

The new garage doors are a real improvement! It is going to be beautiful when it is finished.
Nancy

Christine said...

how fun! I love investigating the history on homes. I would so keep my horse in the stable/garage if I had something like this :-)

vignette design said...

Just came for a visit from Savvy Southern and am amazed at your garage transformation. There were some good bones to work with, but what a difference those doors make! I have been wanting doors like that on my garage for a while! Love this post! I'm a new follower BTW!

Anonymous said...

The garage door looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity