Tuesday, October 12, 2010

No Sew Hem.....

Owning an older home has it interesting points. Like not one window has the same measurement. And lets talk about the fact that the house is not level, so even though I measured the same amount on each side of the window the rod still hung crooked. We are a little off balance here, but I think you already knew that! So, when I ordered my curtains I didn't plan on the fact that I couldn't hang the curtain rods high enough for the panels, because there is a center beam running the width of the house.


You know that means the panels now need hemmed. I am really really not in the mood to hem 10 panels. It is already taking me too long to sew the kitchen curtains....So, I decided to cheat....



I folded the extra length at the top of the curtain. Hee Hee...I sat back and smiled! Packed away the sewing machine! Oh...it feels good to not have to hem!

That was easy!! Thank goodness the little window's curtain didn't need any hemming!
(Did you spy the boxes...they were a birthday gift!)


I did say 10 panels needed hemmed and I only shared 4 so far.
The other panels are in our bedroom. You remember how in our other
home the bedroom was decorated in Red Toile. I have decided to go
with a whole new color scheme!

I am loving the colors. A deep purple and green.
(I know I should pack away my tulips, but they are one of my
favorite flowers and I am just not ready to say good bye to them!)
Again, the panels were too long, so I folded the curtain at the top
and clipped in place!


Here is the large window...
Before...


And After...



How about without the view of the ketchup and mustard chair...

We have something special planned for above the curtain rod!
Just didn't order it yet!

So there is my answer to avoid having to re-hem a curtain!


11 comments:

Donnie said...

What a smart girl you are. We live in a Park Model Mobile Home and no windows seem to match. I'll definitely use your idea. Thanks for sharing it. I love the red check curtains. So cheery.

Home's Where My Heart Is said...

You are so smart!! What a great way to get around a pesky situation. Love all that you've done. :)

Erin

Debbie said...

That was a genius move Wendy. Those are really pretty. Do you mind sharing where you ordered them. I am always looking for new kitchen valances, and never see anything I like.....yours are so pretty!

Melissa said...

Great way to save time and as effective or more effective than doing all that work.

dee dee said...

Wendy,
Excellent! I love the simple fold over on the top of the curtain! It adds and makes the curtain look more expensive and detailed too! The purple is such a nice change for your master bedroom, can't wait to see it complete! Remember to rest when you can!
Dee Dee

Rene said...

Wow! You are making great progress with your new home. Here's to no sew hemming.

-Rene

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Looks fantastic! I love your new curtains and the simple cuff at the top. I know what you mean about older homes and things not quite being level... Everything is looking great at your new place already! :)

Adam and Wendy said...

What a fantastic idea!! :) :) :) Looks great!

Atelier de Charo said...

The curtains looks very beautiful, what a fantastic idea!

Jess said...

Love your idea-I don't have time to hem either-so my curtains just have never gone up! ....but now maybe I can hang them. :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Smart move. I should have bought curtains like that in our house. The floors aren't level anywhere and it drives.me.nuts. Isn't it amazing how much different curtains make?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity