Thursday, October 14, 2010

Apple Walnut Salad....

Some of you already know this....Monday through Friday I work full-time as Public Health Nurse. It is by far the best job I have ever had as a Registered  Nurse....even better then beings a labor and delivery nurse and I never thought I would find a job that I loved more than being present for the miracle of birth!  Okay, so what does all this have to do with Salads?

My car is my office. (I really need to start thinking about decorating my car, do you think anyone has done that?)  If I forget to pack my lunch, I am left with two options...1) don't eat or 2) fast food.  The other day I opted for option number 2 and went to a well know fast food restaurant. I enjoyed an apple/pecan salad. The salad was delicious, but the price was crazy! Almost $10 for a little salad and a drink. Thank goodness I wasn't paying with spare change that day.  I really did enjoy the salad, so we decided to make a similar version for dinner tonight....


Ingredient:
4 Cups of Mixed Salad Greens
2 large Apples
(we used Honey Crisp)
Walnuts
Blue Cheese
Grilled Chicken (optional)

Pomegranite Vinegrette
(We used Marzetti)

Honey Crisp apples were our apple of choice for the salad.
They have become our very favorite apple.
If you haven't tried them, you need to rush out and buy some.
The are just delicious!

Amazingly I made this whole salad for the family for less than it cost me to buy one salad at the fast food restaurant. There is even some left over for lunch tomorrow! Sweet!!

Linking to Foodie Friday

13 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

I just finished eating a honey crisp apple!! I had never tried one until a couple weeks ago and now I'm hooked! Your salad looks super yummy!!

Home's Where My Heart Is said...

Your salad looks and sounds amazing. It is hard to make healthy choices that don't break the bank when we forget our lunches or something comes up.

Thanks for sharing..

ButterYum said...

I just brought home a 1/2 bushel of honeycrisps. We can't get enough of them. I love your salad - the photo is amazing. And I'll definitely be looking for that pom vinaigrette.

:)
ButterYum

Donnie said...

That looks so good. My 38 year old son has 18 more months before he graduates as a RN. He is so proud of his future profession. He was a Mortician and Orthopedic appliance rep. You all are special group of people.

Love the Decor! said...

It looks wonderful and Honey Crisps are our new favorite also!!
Have a great weekend

Atelier de Charo said...

Looks delicious, I'll make this!!!

Hugs
Charo

Katie said...

YUM!! And, I left an award for you on my blog :)

dee dee said...

Wendy,
Honey crisps are our favorite too!
Your salad looks so yummy!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Dee Dee

Natasha said...

I make a salad very similar to that all of the time but I have never added chicken-what a great idea! I will do that next time.

Great recipe!

I posted a caramel recipe today and added a link to your cookie exchange. Are you still doing that? Just let me know if you aren't. I haven't been by this week as our house flooded. It has been a nightmarish week here!

Best wishes and happy weekend,
Natasha.

Corners of My Life said...

Just in time! I am entertaining my aunt on Sunday and now I have the perfect thing to serve her. Thanks.

Bringing Pretty Back said...

Isn't that awful, that is so expensive! Your home made version looks delish! And enough for the whole family. That is great! I think it would be great to see your car decorated!!!
Thank you for your comment on our little coco! She is doing good , and I have calmed down. No more dcon in this house! I bet raisins would be great in that salad.

Have a pretty day!
Kristin

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Okay, I want some right now, your salad looks deliciousssss, Wendy.
Have a happy weekend. xxx

Karen said...

I am thrilled to hear that you are so happy in Public Health! Life is in the little things we do each day...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity