Friday, June 25, 2010

Strawberry Caprese Salad


Happy Summer to all of you!!
Sorry I have been M.I.A. for a bit,
just busy focusing on a new job that 
required me to get "up to speed" asap.
Believe me Wendy keep aksing me to do something

This one is fast, refreshing and easy!
 Its one of those recipes that sparks interest 
because of the ingredients and is great on a hot day.

Summer cooking for me is only using a few items,
at peak freshness and simply prepared.

Let the food shine, and don't use 75 ingredients in a dish.

Yield: 3 Servings

1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
3 c. fresh strawberries, stemmed & halved
3c. fresh mozzarella bocconcini
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
Salt & black pepper
3 t. basil, chiffonade
3 t. mint, chiffonade

Method (1)
To make the balsamic syrup,
simmer vinegar in a non-reactive pan over low heat
until reduced by 1/2 its volume.
Stay close, its goes from just right to tar in a minute!

Trim some fresh herbs, gently wash and let dry.

Make sure they are dry, or they will just get mushy and look bad.
Also, for chiffonade, use a SHARP knife,
and watch your finger tips.

Method (2)
 For each serving toss 1 c. strawberries and 1 c. bocconcini

Drizzle with 1 T. olive oil

Season with salt and pepper



Add 1 t. basil and 1 t. mint; gently toss again.

Mound onto a plate
(you can do individual plates, parfaits work too.
Or for a larger group, a platter works well)
Garnish the platter with some basil and mint sprigs

Drizzle with 2 t. balsamic syrup over and around salad.
Grind more pepper on top.
Have it with a nice glass of La Cappucina Soave 2008 (Italy)
and kick your feet up and watch the sun set.

Tony

***
Linking to
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum

13 comments:

Debbie said...

Fantastic Wendy...I love salads like this. Your pics look good enough to eat. Have a great weekend. Debbie

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

This looks great Tony! I would never have thought to make a caprese salad using strawberries. I bet it's delicious. Hope your new job is going well.

Danelle said...

This looks so yummy and different. I can't wait to try it!

dee dee said...

Your photos are beautiful!
I've never tried anything like caprese salad, but this looks "good enough to eat"!
Thanks for sharing Tony!
Dee Dee

Allie and Pattie said...

Tony!! How are you darlin'??!! This is fabulous. I make a strawberry salsa that's very popular, but adding the mozzarella is brilliant. We've missed you and hope you're loving the new job
xoxo Pattie

vignette design said...

This is a nice change from tomatoes! My husband loves strawberries and balsamic together. I will definitely try this recipe!

Maria M. Boyer said...

Very nice, Tony! Hope the new job is going well!

Susie from Bienvenue said...

What a neat recipe!!! I dont think I could ever turn away from a good strawberry recipe....love em! Thanks for sharing~ have a great weekend my friend! Susie~

Sherry said...

That looks delicious! Thanks for stopping by! Sherry

Whimsical Creations said...

Looks delicious!!

Jacqueline said...

Who would have thought? I am so into strawberries right now. I have a hard time keeping them around as everyone gobbles them up. I love this idea and will try it. We love caprese and I have heard of strawberries and balsamic but haven't tried it. Will do. Thanks for visiting Purple Chocolat Home. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Oh...my...that looks fantastic. I'm going to make it for the 4th! Thanks for sharing that.

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

Oh my gosh -- this looks delicious too! I think I have a lot of cooking to do after visiting your scrumptious blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity