Monday, June 7, 2010

Cabinet makeover...

Do you remember this little beauty I bought from my brother
at the porch sale?
How I just couldn't wait to get my hands on her and pretty her up!
The very first thing that had to go was the yellow inserts.
I think she might have even said "Thank You"

I used a similar paint technique that I have used on the picture frames
and on the roadside dresser. It is the easiest and the most forgiving.
Forgiving is good!
Two coats of white paint.
Next is my favorite part!
Glazing!
Another very forgiving product.
If you apply too much or need to tone it down, use a wet rag and
go over your glaze. If you remove to much...add a little more.
The more you rub the glaze the shinier the finish.

Here is a closer look at the glaze, because it is hard to see it in the above picture.
Sanding the edges and giving it a worn look works well with the kids.
Any scratches or bumps addes to the aged look!

I didn't want to spend extra money on the hardware. So I painted over the
hardware with white spray paint and glazed over top.
Placed back on the cabinet.

Oh...where will she live?
I just love to move my furniture around...this gave me a good excuse!
She finally found a home in the family room,
but that ment the roadside find needed a new home.
Oh...more fun and furniture moving.
Of course I am doing this at 11 pm on Sat. night,
when the house is finally quiet!
In the corner she goes!

She fit perfect. Not too big, Not too small,
Just right...

Another dilema was deciding what fabric to add to the doors.
I thought of leaving them open and putting lace on the shelves,
or adding a toile fabric, or even a small checked print in cream.
I had the lace and decided for today I liked the softness of the lace.
Now, tomorrow you might see red toile.

The vases on the top hold last years blooms of our hydrangea's.
***
What happened to the roadside find?

She found her way to the other side of the room.
(Don't you love when you post pictures and
 your next project is screaming at you...
new pillows and maybe a slip cover!)

Do you remember that tin container I found at a yardsale?
The white roses dried so pretty I have decided to let them stay.

She (our cabinet) did come out of an adorable cottage built in the 1800's,
although my brother thinks she was built in the 70's.
Glad to give her a new home!


***
Excited to link to these great blog parties....


 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

DIY Day @ ASPTL




  


20 comments:

Debbie said...

WOW Wendy, that looks fantastic...totally different piece...perfect corner too.

Rosebud and Bluebells said...

Hi Wendy,
I just love what you have done with this cabinet, doesn't it look fantastic after it's makeover. Would love to know about the paint technique you referred to, always love transforming furniture and I have a few pieces around that I need to do.
Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog and I'm happy you have decided to follow along this fun adventure that is blogging.
Lovely to meet you.
Donna xx

Elizabeth said...

Great transformation - love it! The fabric looks lovely, much much better than the poor old yellow glass.

Rebecca said...

What a fabulous makeover. I have a similar cabinet and I just love her. Mine doesn't have doors but it DOES fit perfectly into a corner in my upstairs landing.

GREAT JOB! SWEET!

xoRebecca

Allie and Pattie said...

Wendy, perfect, perfect, perfect! She is definitely thanking you!
xoxo Pattie

Corners of My Life said...

You did a great job dressing up your little hutch. "White" is my new favorite cottage look these days . . .

Donna said...

Hi Wendy,
I do believe your cabinet is breathing a sigh of relief! I love the new look you gave her! And I really love working with glaze, too. Great job!

The Thrifty Designer said...

What a perfect piece for your room. I really like the lace, so soft and pretty. It doesn't overpower the cabinet. Great work!

Brenda@Cozy Little House said...

What a beautiful job you did! As soon as I saw the first pic, I'm thinking, remove the yellow inserts. Which, of course you did. And what you added instead is so soft and lovely, and doesn't take away from the piece. Which a toile or such might have done. I LOVE to move and rearrange. This is a crazy thing I remember. I'm old enough to remember what I was doing the night John Lennon was killed. My young children were asleep. And I was taking those bracket shelves (vertical brackets and just add the boards on top) we used in the dark ages down from one wall in my living room and nailing them up on another. That's what I remember about that night! Sorry for the LONG comment!
Brenda

alissa said...

Yes - I bet she did say "thank you"! She looks great and what a perfect spot you found for her.

dee dee said...

Wendy,
I do believe you have "dressed her up to the nines!" I love the new look! I really like the way "she" blends into your corner of the room, like she belonged there all along. The roadside dresser looks perfect in its new home! I love the way your family room looks soft and romantic!
Dee Dee

Susan said...

Wendy your corner cabinet looks great!!

Bringing Pretty Back said...

Wendy, That cabinet was made for that corner! I love it white! You have a talent, that's for sure!
also, thanks for keeping my bounce trick a secret! ( :
Have a pretty day
Kristin

heartnsoulcooking said...

WOW!!! Wendy your corner cabinet looks AWESOME!!!
GREAT!!! JOB!!! and I LOVE!!! your roadside finds.

Debra@Common Ground said...

Great job on the cabinet, amazing what paint can do! The white is perfect and she looks wonderful in her new spot. I'm curious about what brand of glaze you use, so glad you stopped by.
Debra

Sandy said...

I just about fell off my chair.. "The Yellow inserts said Thank you"
Really nice corner cabinet.. great job... and
Thank you so much for your kind words on your visit to my blog...
Sandy

Kathy said...

Wendy...
A great job on your corner cabinet.
Such a difference!
Very pretty...
I've been painting today too...
Three birdhouses and a mirror!
It's been a painting day I guess.
Keep up the good work girl...
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

She is so very cute and perfect in that spot--I too, love dried hydrangeas!
I have a chair that I need to make a slipcover for--after the kitchen re-do!
Hugs,
me

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

What gorgeous makeover, Wendy. It turned out so so pretty!
Hugs and more hugs for a great weekend, do enJOY your new piece!! xx

Glenda... said...

I have always loved corner cabinets...yours turned out so pretty...
thanks for sharing it with us,
blessings,
glenda

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity