Friday, May 28, 2010

Strawberry Pie

Yesterday my father-in-law picked 4 quarts of strawberries! Yum!
There is nothing better than fresh picked berries!
Today is Tony's 40th Birthday and seeing these strawberries made us all hungry for some Strawberry Pie.
I know it is not the traditional Birthday Cake, but we go with what the birthday person wants....pie...cake...cup cakes...ice cream cake....it's their special day!

When I worked as a visiting nurse this recipe was shared with me by a patient. Her and her 2 sisters made these pie's and sold them at the local farmers market. I cherish her hand written recipe.
Every time I pull out her recipe it reminds me of how sweet they were and what wonderful bakers they were.

Strawberry Pie

Pie Crust:
1 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup Margarine (softened)
3 tablespoons boiling water
Mix together and press in pie plate.
Bake at 425 for 8 minutes and then 350 for 8 minutes

Filling
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Mix these before adding 1 1/2 cup cold water
Cook till it comes to a boil, stir occassionally then turn to low and
cook until it gets clear,
take off stove and add a small box of strawberry jello
Let stand for 10 minutes
Pour over berries and top with whip cream!
(we let it set up in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving)

Maddie and Sarah were my helpers today!!
Maddie Mixing the Pie Crust
and
Pressing into Pie Plate

Making the simple syrup

Pouring the syrup over the berries and pie crust!

I usually put the pie in the refrigerator for approx. 2 hours and allow it to set up.


Now this is Sarah's favorite part....
making home made whip cream.

Whip Cream Ingredients:
 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
2 tablespoon Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla

In a blender mix all ingredients until medium peaks form.


Sarah is waiting patiently for the whip cream....
actually she wants to stake her claim to the whisk.
We sometimes have arguements over who gets to lick the whisk, who gets the bowl, who gets the spoon.

Medium Peaks have formed and we are ready to spread it onto the pie!!


Yum...home made whip cream.
Maybe I'll claim the spatula...




Now we just need to find 40 candles!!


Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Join us at Designs by Gollum
and some delicious recipes!


15 comments:

Abbey @ Practically Perfect said...

MMMMM...that looks amazing! We've had fresh strawberries in our cereal all week!

Satakieli said...

I've always maintained that I'm no good at making pie, but I'm just going to have to try this one when my strawberries are ready, it looks wonderful!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Oh that looks so good!! What a fun thing to make this summer. Happy Birthday Tony!

dee dee said...

Happy Birthday Tony!
Save a slice for me!
Dee Dee

ps.... Tony you now have me hooked on paninis!

Allie and Pattie said...

Buon Compleanno Tony!!! Have a wonderful, fun day full of family and love!
xoxo Pattie and Ray

Aimee said...

Happy Bday tony!! That pie looks delicious!

Maria M. Boyer said...

Is there any left? I could still make it over in time. YUM! : )

Buon compleanno, Tony!!

Simply Cintia said...

looks awesome!

Rettabug said...

Thanks for sharing this yummy looking version of strawberry pie! We always have Bisquick in the pantry & the strawberries are super sweet right now. I have never bothered to make homemade whipped cream but this pie screams for it. I think I'll make it this weekend!

Natasha said...

Oh my words-that looks just plain YUMMY!!! What a great birthday Cake for you, Tony. Happy Birthday! I wish I could come over right now and have a slice with you all.

You have some very lovely helpers there too. Soon you won't have to be in the kitchen at all, Wendy!

Take care and best wishes for a fabulous Memorial day weekend.
Natasha.

Theresa said...

Thanks for stopping by and paying me a visit! Your strawberry pie looks delicious! I only have a few strawberries on my plant, so... I will have to buy some to make this wonderful recipe:) Have a blessed day!

Jess said...

I love Fresh Berries! Thanks for sharing this with us-I'll have to give it a try. :)

-Jess

Corners of My Life said...

I bet your "Little Red Hen Helpers" were happy to help eat the pis as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe . . .

Frugal Home Designs said...

Sounds delicious and I LOVE the penmanship on the recipe. You can tell it came from some that has some "experience".

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

YUMMMMMMMMMM!
I love the whipped cream pictures!!
HAPPY 29th BIRTHDAY to TONY!!!
(On their birthdays, our family member also get whatever they want for "cake").

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity