Friday, May 7, 2010

Poultry 101

When I buy chicken I usually always by a whole roaster and have Tony cut it into 8 pieces. A whole roaster is less expensive then buying the chicken pre-cut.  The problem comes when I have the chicken, but Tony hasn't had time to cut it. So I decided it was time that I learn to do this on my own.

So here we go....Take it away Tony...
How to cut up a whole chicken...

Make sure to rinse off the chicken with cold water, inside and out.
Pat dry with a paper towel.


Place chicken breast side up on a cutting board. Letting gravity help you, remove the wings by cutting into wing joint with a SHARP knife, using just the tip of the knife to follow through at the curve of the joint.
Cut off the tips. You can save these and use along with the remaining carcass
for some home-made chicken stock.
Now seperate wings at the joint, or you can leave the wings whole.
Time to take the legs off.
 Remove the legs by cutting the skin between thigh and body; cut through the meat between tail and hip joint. Bend leg back until hip joint pops out; cut around bone and through remaining meat and skin.
Popping the hip joint.

Cutting through to seperate the drumstick and thigh.
A little more

Place the remaining carcass backbone down. Follow the natural seams along the bone and cartilage. You're going to go down an inch or so, then to the side following the rib cage. Just use the tip of knife, pulling back the meat gently so you can see where you are at, and just trim it out.
Same with the other side.
It gets easier with each bird you do, so don't worry about being perfect. Its a chicken.

Rubber gloves are nice so your manicure doesn't get messed up, plus that gross raw chicken feeling on your hands is gross, and cross-contaminating, right! Its not like they are the cleanest critters out there.

Breast meat is off!

If you want, now is the time to take off the tasty, but fattening skin. Boneless skinless breast meat is a $$ premium at the grocery store, here its less than a quarter of the price if you do it yourself.
Here it is, classic 8 cut chicken. $4.03 for all this compared to $6.99 for six boneless skinless chicken breasts that they do for you.
Place in a freezer bag, label and date if you want to freeze them for later.
Its nice to buy three or four of these and then do them all at once and you're set for a few meals down the road.
At C.I.A. we would have to do an entire chicken like this in less than two minutes. It was a little test they would throw out there to see if we had good knife skills.
Man that was fun!

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I would like to practice one more time before I attempt it by myself again. At least I have Tony's tutorial to read....just in case I would get stuck!
I think this call for a celebration...wine anyone?


Thank you to Michael Lee at Designs by Gollum for hosting

8 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Yes, I would love some wine, thank you! :) Great tutorial! Happy Mother's Day Wendy!!
xoxo Pattie

stephanie said...

I need to get me some of those gloves!!! Did you know that I can never touch raw chicken, it just totally creeps me out. Wednesdays at Redner's, boneless, skinless breasts $1.68lb. I buy a bunch! Have a wonderful weekend my dear friend!!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Ok, I have to be honest... I could NEVER do what you just did to that chicken! I can hardly touch a raw chicken breast!

I bought a whole pack of chicken thighs today for 88 cents a pound. This will be my first time cooking/grilling with that cut. I'm excited to give it a try!

Hope you guys have a good weekend :)

Debbie said...

Boy you know how to work a chicken Wendy! Happy Mothers day to you!

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

You guys are funny!
I buy whole chickens, but have never cut them up while they are still raw.
We just saw it all to heck when it's cooked!
Not too pretty, and we are probably wasting meat.
Thanks for the tutorial- I think I can , I think I can.
But first, off to buy some wine!
(Is Yellow Tail good? I keep thinking I want to try some, but I don't know if I should.)

Karen said...

I have two comments:

1.) Are you sure you aren't a surgical nurse, because you sure look like you know what your doing!

2.) Did someone say wine?

:)

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

"Wine!"

I can't believe I had to miss the tutorial live; but one night I'll bring over a bird and you can teach me live. I'll bring the wine.

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

Thank you for the answer about the wine!
Have you tried any of the blush wines?
Those are the ones I prefer- I am a sissy sweet wine drinker :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity