Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Gift to Dream...Part I

Thursday was a beautiful sunny day here in Pennsylvania. It was the kind of sunny day that if I had a wash line I would hang wash out to dry. I wouldn't hang out our underwear, that was a family rule growing up or the towels, that was a family rule on Tony's side. Underwear would just be too embarrasing and towels get too stiff. Well, we are not allowed to have a laundry line in our neighborhood so no need to dwell on it too much. Just saying, if we could...I would.

Thursday was also the day I turned 40years old. Not going to write about that today, not sure what to think about it yet. I am going to share with you pictures of a fantastic day of dreaming. Lately I have pondered the question of "Why do I dream" so much. God Bless my friends who have to listen to my dreams, because some days I tire myself listening to me. Mostly I dream of living in an older home with some land and a few small animals (other than ginger). That has always been our dream, it really isn't a new dream. Lately though it has been a stronger dream, maybe it is the 40 thing? Well, either way the only gift I wanted for my birthday was to spend the day with Tony and drive around Lancaster County enjoying the beautiful and breath taking landscape.

After we got married at the young age of 22, we bought our first home in Lancaster County. Life sometimes seemed simpler then. I wouldn't want to go back, but enjoy remembering being young and in love and feeling as if the world is yours. On our drive we took over 70 pictures.


Tony and I decided we need to buy another camera. We each felt we had the better angle or shot! We even talked that we should take a photography class together. We will share most of the photos, but through out the week. 70 pictures would be too much for one post, right? I hope you stay with us and come back. We captured so many wonder moments and even meet some farmers. We just love small towns and the people in them!


I am going to start you at the beginning of our trip.....
It was the perfect day for a "Sunday" drive (on a Thursday of course), the car windows were down and the sun was shining beautifully through the windows. Sunday drives were always one of our favorite past times. As we drove it was as if the sun was smiling and the earth seemed alive to its rays. As we entered Lancaster County and drove around the bend there were 3 fawns taking their morning naps. Their momma's were close by watching over them. This reminded me of when the kids were little and I would lay them down for their naps, but go back and check on them and just enjoying watching them during their peaceful rest.  A momma should never be far from her sleeping babies and these momma were paying very close attention to what we were doing.


This May we are having our family picture taken. When we met with Marci to talk about what we were looking for and a location, Tony remembered a place we use to take our 2 labs swimming. This was our next stop. We wanted to make sure it was as beautiful as we remembered. It was. Hopefully the weather cooperates in May as it did today. We hope to capture the kids playing in the creek.


As we leave the creek we remember along this winding road there are so many beautiful farm houses. For as far as you can see it is just fields and silo's.


There are quite a few farms in Lancaster County that were part of the underground railroad. If you ever have the opportunity to visit Lancaster County I encourage you to. The history is fascinating. If you can't visit, we hope you enjoy traveling with us today.
This farm house was part of the underground railroad. This home is also open to the public and functions as a Bed and Breakfast. A great visit for the family. I am always in amazement that these beautiful homes were built in the 1800's or even the 1700's. They used what was available to the area that they lived. You will see in many of the farm houses are built from limestone. Many of the barns are bank barns which also has a fascinating history and used by many of the early settlers for the most optimal use of the sun light. They were probably more green then us in many ways.


Should we stop here for today? Next time I'll show you the many dream homes we found. None were for sale...so for now we'll continue to dream.  We hope you come back to dream with us. We still have about 50 pictures to share!


During our drive we would talk about how wonderful small towns are and the bonds that you build with your neighbors, town, community, county and even your country that you live in. That lead us to remember an older Montgomery Gentry song....My Town




A special thank you to two sweet bloggers who invite us weekly for two special parties..
Natasha at 5 Minutes just for me for Sunday's Song
and
Mary at Little Red House  for Mosaic Monday!


24 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Wendy, I always loved Lancaster County. Ray and I have been doing a lot of talking about moving lately and I sure as heck wouldn't mind PA. Lovely pics!
xoxo Pattie

dee dee said...

Wendy,
What beautiful photos! I've always thought that PA is such a lovely state. Green, plush farms, old architecture... etc....
I love the photo with the undies on the line. My neighborhood won't allow us to to have a line either, but it is one of my dreams as well!
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the dream photos!
Dee Dee

Natasha said...

Wendy, this is such a beautiful post.I love the photos you have taken of the gorgeous country side and your song goes perfectly with your descriptions of life in a country town.

We are so similar in so many ways, Wendy! I too married when I was 22 and have my big FOUR 0 next year! I have the same kinds of dreams too but one of my dreams would be flying out to meet you and sharing a cup of tea and listening to each others dreams! Maybe one day...

Best wishes and thanks for sharing this great song!

Natasha.

Beth said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Wendy! I'm glad you and Tony shared what looks like a lovely and relaxing day...I'm looking forward to the next 50 pics!

Bobbi said...

Great mosaics! Thank you so much for sharing them! I hope that you have a lovely new week!
Hugs...
Bobbi

Debbie said...

Wendy what a beautiful part of the US...wow! Lovely story you told as we went along the hills and looked at all the scenes....Happy 40th Birthday....honey it is true what they say, life begins at 40....it is a tough one indeed...so many things we reflect on...but you will love it all, and love who you are!

Dishesdone said...

Love your photo's and mosaics! What a beautiful part of the country to be in!

Becky K. said...

Hi Wendy,
So glad you had a good time together. You captured some very special shots.

Have you seen that we are planning a Blogger Meet at Longwood Gardens in June? We would love to have you join us. It is such a fun place to play with a camera!

I love your blog and will be back. Can't wait to see the rest of these photos.

Becky K.
Hospitality Lane

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

This is such beautiful countryside!!! I've never been there in person but would love to visit...The stone used in the houses and bridges is so beautiful!!!

mya said...

Good Evening,
Saw your post and heard your song through "5 Minutes Just For Me."
So glad you linked it - enjoyed it. Thank you

luna said...

Beautiful pics and mosaics!
Happy Mosaic Monday..Luna

Mary said...

Omigosh, I adore those old stone houses -- so beautiful! I hope your dream comes true one day! Thanks for sharing at MM> :)

Daniela said...

Lovely photos :)

Shelle said...

what a delighful drive...i thought that looked like pennsylvania, we visit friends there once in a while...so nice to dream...i think it's so important because our dreams lead us to act...otherwise we would not be alive.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your day trip with us. Great photos. A delayed Happy Birthday!

Snap said...

First, Happy Birthday! Lancaster County is a special place. Thanks for sharing your drive with us. Everything is just beautiful and well done!

LDH said...

I loved reading this post! My ancestors lived in this area for many generations! I have visited many times and most recently to do genealogy research. here is a link to a post about it:

http://gratefulprayerthankfulheart.blogspot.com/2009/10/show-and-tell-friday-oberdier-house.html

Love your photos and Mosaics!
Kindly, ldh

Meri said...

Oh babies! When my youngest was taking riding lessons, one of the mares foaled. The baby could stand up under mom's belly for only a day or so, then grew too tall. They grow amazingly quickly.

32˙North said...

That is some beautiful countryside and what a glorious day for a drive! Thanks for taking us along!

Amanda

The DIY Show Off said...

Beautiful! We have so much in common. I also just turned 40. I live in PA and love farmhouses. And I dream a lot too! ;) Happy belated birthday.

Roeshel

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

So picturesque! What a great birthday gift.

Atticmag said...

Lovely country and houses. Thank you for the post. Jane F.

Becca's Dirt said...

That was a nice trip. Beautiful countryside. You two sound like such love birds. I am jealous. Have a nice day. Becca

jennie.newland said...

what beautiful pictures! Looks like you have a gift! Thanks for stopping by for my 100th post, glad you liked it. God really is good! Hope to hear more from you soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity