Monday, May 31, 2010

A Berry Busy Weekend...


I am kind of sad that the weekend is over and it is back to the "real" world tomorrow. It was a fun weekend with a porch sale, party or picnic everyday. We have definately eaten too much wonderful food.
Since going back to work full time, I cherish these long weekends and days off with the kids.
It was one of our most fun weekends. We feel very lucky to be blessed with great family, wonderful neighbors and fantastic friends!

I wanted to share some of the fun recipes we made with berries....

Fruit Dip
1 pkg cream cheese softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
Mix and chill
Serve with your choice of fruit

Blueberry Pie
Pie Crust
(I cheated and used the refrigerated pie dough)

Filling
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix filling ingredients together and pour into pie crust.
Lay second piece of pie dough over filling.
Press moistened edges of dough together and crimp edges. 
Cut slits on top to vent.
Place pie in oven, then reduce heat to 375 degrees.
Bake until crust is golden and juices are bubbling, approx. 50 minutes.
Let cool on wire rack.
(recipe adapted from Everyday Food, June 2010)


Whip Cream

2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla 
(we honestly don't measure the vanilla...we just pour)
Miss Sarah has become the queen of making whip cream.
She no longer needs my help.
Actually I was told to leave her alone....
gosh she sounds like someone else I know! LOL!

Strawberry Pie
We made 3 strawberry pies this weekend! You can find the recipe Here!
It is so much fun when we adjust our cooking and
recipes to the fruits that are in season. 
We are excited for peaches next!
Peach cobbler I can smell it baking already!


***
Linking to Mosaic Monday at  Little Red House

15 comments:

Simply Cintia said...

you are good. everything looks delish!

dee dee said...

Everything looks so yummy!
I do believe that Tony needs to open that bakery!
Dee Dee

Debbie said...

You are really good in the kitchen, gosh that looks good, I could go for a piece now!

Diana said...

Nice mosaics! Your pies and dip look sooo yummy!!! Thank you for sharing your recipes, can't wait to try them. ~Diana

Aimee said...

you always make my mouth water when i read your posts. So jealous of all the great food you eat...

Glad you had a great weekend... I hate the Tuesdays after a long weekend.

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Wendy~ you've been soo busy! Summer fruit pies ala mode are my *all time favorite* dessert!!
I'd like to know what store bought crusts you use, your blueberry pie crust looks perfectly homemade. I didn't know you could make pie crust from Bisquick (my staple). I'm hoping my strawberries haven't all been lost to the slugs.
I'd like to try your recipe with my home grown strawberries.

Your house is gorgeous! It's similar to mine with the shutters. Ours are a forest green, don't tell my hubby who painted them, but someday I'd like them to be painted back to the original black.
I love how your shutter shelf turned out.
It looks great.
We never have such great finds at our yard sales like the ones I see in blogland.
I would have snatched up those metal garden chairs too.
I would be more than happy to include the "how to" on making the candied fruit with the post on easy cake decor that I've got coming up.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Allie and Pattie said...

Wendy, it sounds like an awesome weekend- and Sarah is adorable!! Have a great week!
xoxo Pattie

Kathy said...

Your pies look Scrumptious! I was just thinking it was going to be peach season soon! Yeah!
In season and fresh is always best. Love the little one watching the whip cream!
God Bless,
Kathy

Elyse said...

mmmmm! so glad that it's blueberry season! thanks for sharing all of the yummy recipes and pics.

happy june ~*~

xo
elyse

Annabelle said...

Gosh, I LOVE strawberry pie!

Beth said...

I love your first picture of the pie, Wendy! Everything looks delicious, I think I will make the blueberry pie, blueberries are sooo cheap right now, and we just love them. Thanks for sharing!

Corners of My Life said...

I love the photo "waiting" for the cream to whip. It is pricelesss . . .

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

OH MY, BUT I DO LOVE PIE!!
I am at your house for the next holiday, do ya hear?

Pamela said...

Looks delish! We will be right over!:)

Mary said...

Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity