Monday, April 5, 2010

Stairway...start to finish (almost)..

When we finished the basement last year we stained the basement steps and we love the look. It is so easy to keep clean and I don't worry about the kids spilling drinks or snacks.
When we decided not to move...one of the first projects on my list was to rip up the carpet on the steps to the second floor and stain them, but paint the risers.
Now, I emphazie my list...sometimes our lists don't match. Tony likes the basement steps stained, but not sure he would like it for the main steps.  I started finding as many pictures as I could to promote all the good reasons to tackle this project! The main picture was the steps in the farmhouse were all wooden!
Finally...his uncle was visiting from Philly and talked Tony into the project!
Thank you Uncle Billy!

Of course you know I didn't wait...the next day....goggles on and ready to rip up some carpet!

Tony actaully gets credit for ripping up the carpet, but....
left the padding for me to rip out...
there must have been One million staples!

Finally after some teamwork...
all the carpet is off!

Tony sanded the steps...

Taped and ready to stain...
We love the small paint store in town...
Tony took a piece of the wood floor and they matched the stain!
They did the same for the basement steps and it was a perfect match....
we pay a little more, but it is good to support the small home town business
and they have never let us down with paint colors!


Tony applied two coats of stain....
If you notice...I keep saying "Tony"....he took over this project
and it became "his" project! Woo Hoo!

After letting the stain dry for at least 24 hours between coats,
Tony applied two coats of polyurethane.
Now...I have to tell you this took some thinking and planning, because once the stain was applied no one could use the steps for at least 12 hours..to allow the stain and polyurethane to dry! You do remember we have 3 kids and one Lily (black lab)!

The next step was to fill in all the staple holes on the risers....
One million staples = One million holes!

Painted the risers white to match the trim...
Added quarter round molding to each step

It is so much easier to clean the steps and I love the feel and sound of hardwood under my feet!
Didn't Tony do a great job on "his" project!

So we are finished (almost)
We still want to replace the banister.
The goal is to use a combination of iron and wood!
There are a few projects ahead of this on the To Do List...
but we will be sure to share the finished (completely) project!

P.S. (sorry it took us so long to post start to finish...
there were a few detours along the way, that lead to a new project)

Linking to
and


23 comments:

The DIY Show Off said...

Fantastic job! We did the same thing! Although I have yet to do the restaining because I'm waiting to match new hardwood in the future but I love the look so much better than the carpet and underneath wasn't in bad shape. Yours look amazing! I know what you mean about the 1 million staples! ugh!

Thanks for sharing your hard work in the DIY Project Parade! :)

Roeshel

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

Wendy (and Tony of course) what a great job on the stairs. Wow, they look great! I wonder if I can convince my hubby to do the same :)

The new pictures on your sidebar look great by the way. My camera's broke & I'm shopping for a new one.. will have to try out some black & white photos too.

Allie and Pattie said...

Yay Tony!!! I've found the best way to get Ray on board for a project is to just start it- invariably, it becomes "his"! Looks beautiful!
xoxo Pattie

Simply Cintia said...

beautiful stairs!

Love the Decor! said...

Hooray for Tony!!
Great project I love this look!!
Have a great week Wendy

Aimee said...

Wow this is soo nice!

I am sure that this will be much easier to manage:)

As a kid my duty was to vacuum the stairs, God I wish we had wooden stairs.

Happy Monday:)

Jess said...

I love the way these stairs turned out- I have been wanting to do this to our stairs as well. :)

Debra from Bungalow said...

The stairs turned out great and have a fresh new look.

Stop by and enter my giveaway.
I'm compiling a list of PA bloggers. Would you like to be in the list? email me

One Cheap B*tch said...

Your steps look great! We still have to do our's but with a 4.5 and a 2.5 year olds, I'm worried about the fumes. How did you manage that with your kids?

Jeanine

dee dee said...

Wendy,
Looks wonderful!
I might have to get Wayne on board for the same project at our home! The dogs have turned our white carpet on the stairs light brown!
Excellent after....
Dee Dee

Frugal Home Designs said...

That looks awesome. Great job.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This looks amazing, Wendy. I love the stain you chose and the offset of white. I would love stairs like this in our next home. Thanks for sharing. What progress!

Laura said...

What a great job you did!
It looks beautiful.
I enjoyed visiting this morning-

Laura
White Spray Paint

I am now a follower!

Allison Shops said...

Much better! Great job, DH.

Be sure to visit AtticMag this week for our Giveaway!

Allison

Alecia said...

so very pretty- we need to redo ours in a similiar fashion- yup- carpet on the stairs too!!! however, it falls way down on our list- we also live in a farm style home.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wow! You guys, er I mean Tony, did a fantastic job! The stairs look very classy.

Thank you for the sweet comment about our little Stanley. It means a lot :)

Katie said...

I'd love to do my stairs too, but afraid if I fall I'd be hurtin for certain! Yours look GREAT!

Rene said...

Wow what an improvement! I know that you are loving those stairs now!

Manuela@TPOH said...

Your steps look beautiful! I well remember how many staples and nails there were when we ripped the carpeting off ours! Why do they use so many?

Manuela

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Ooooh Wendy, the steps turned out amazing!!!
I can't imagine covering up A-L-L those staple holes!! It truly looked worthwhile.

When we stained/sealed our stairwell, we had three very curious cats who didn't let our barricades stop them from walking across the wet stain (((sigh))) needless to say it took us a couple attempts.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

~marci said...

Awesome job! We did this at our place within the first year of living here~ and I have never regretted it. The staples were a pain. And I think that made TWO million holes, for each staple. Anyway, no carpet means cleaning the steps a breeze!

Michelle said...

Beautiful job on the stairs!

vignette design said...

I love the new stairs! What a difference! Beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity