Monday, April 12, 2010

Removing Wall Paper...

When we moved into our home 10 years ago the first room I decorated was the dining room. I knew exactly what I wanted....wallpaper! The wallpaper that I choose was the same wallpaper in our previous neighbor's dining room of their farm house. Off to my favorite paint store and I ordered the exact same wall paper!


Lets fast forward 10 years and I am ready to say good bye to the wall paper! I only wall papered 3 rooms in our current home. (I wall papered everyroom but one in our old home) I knew I couldn't paint over the paper like I did in the powder room. I would need to take it down....ohhhh I dreaded this process.

When I was in the middle of the process of removing the wall paper, I did consider some other titles for this post....none would be appropriate....or nice!  I must tell you I did a lot of mumbling under my breath.  I am also so sorry for the poor people who bought our other home and had to remove all that wallpaper I hung! Sorry...

I did apply sizing to the walls prior to hanging, which aided in making removal much easier!  Here is the process and the before pictures....


(Before)

Step 1:
I scored all the wall paper with this handy tool...


Actually Little Tony scored all the walls for me! These little hole in the paper will help with step 2.
Step 2:
I added some Dawn dish soap to hot water....

Step 3:
Working in sections...I washed the wallpaper with the hot water. I used a sponge and made the walls pretty wet.

Step 4:
Using a scraper I would loosen the edge and slowly pull the paper. This was in the beginning of the process...


As I went around the room I noticed, if after pulling back on the wallpaper I made it wet at the part where the paper and wall meet it would pull off easier and in larger sections....



Then there would be moments when I had no patience and I would just pull (probably mumbling some words)....


This only created more work...so I learned to slow down and take my time...that is a tough lesson for me! I like to get things done fast...not too much patience....

After 2 evenings and 1 day....finished....white walls again! Hurray...




What's next?
Need to pick out a paint color...thinking of a blue / gray...any suggestions?
Change the fabric on the chairs.
Thinking of painting the 2 captain chairs off white.
Paint the mirror white.
Ummmm.....am I missing anything? I would love your ideas...because I know they are good! Please feel free to share...I love your advice!

Linking to Metamorphis Monday  and The DIY Show Off !!

21 comments:

kim said...

I HATE removing wallpaper. I swore I would never have it in my house again because it is so hard to take down. I did the same way with the little scoring gadget and hot water, but it still took forever in my little tiny powder room. If you want to do a pale gray on the top walls, Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore paints is really pretty. It is almost a taupe color, but it is gray. Look at my nautical room post that I reposted on Saturday so you can look at it. Good luck!

Alison said...

Ugh. I truly hate wallpaper. I think it's because I'm a commitment-phobe. And because it's a PAIN to remove! When we moved into our house there was wallpaper in almost every room....including on the ceilings upstairs. Sigh. We're 1/3 of the way there. Congrats that you got it done so quickly! We've used the scorer and dif. soaking methods. We finally bought a steamer and that has made the job easier. Have fun picking a color!

Alison

Allison Shops said...

Another wallpaper hater! lol Nice job getting it all down. Stopping by from BNOTP.

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

WOW! I swear you're like the Energizer Bunny. And to think I was proud of myself for cleaning the toilets this weekend. :-)

Kim said...

Ah yes, I remember the joy of removing wallpaper. Your new white walls look so fresh and clean. I love the blue/gray idea. It would be a real departure from what was there before and I think those colors are very soothing. Go for it!
Can you believe our "date" is almost here??? Can't wait to see you guys next week!
xoxo,
Kim

pamela said...

I had to do this in January and I just told myself NEVER AGAIN. I don't care how pretty it is. My love affair with wallpaper which began in the 80's is soooooooo over I will never go through that again because ultimately you tire of it and it has to come down.
Looks great
Pamela

Heidi@cutoncemeasuretwice said...

Oh wallpaper... such a pain. Just taking it down makes the room so much more calm. Good luck picking out paint colors!

Allie and Pattie said...

Wendy, I'm a decorator and I LOVE wallpaper. Guess I'm strange. For the future- fabric softener works beautifully with the hot water to strip paper. I originally painted the dining room in this house a light silvery blue (after being told that blue is NOT a color for dining rooms- I don't like being told what to do!)- I loved it. Can't wait to see yours
xoxo Pattie

Beth said...

So much work, ugh, you are impressive! I like Kris K's dining room color...is it robin's egg blue or even turquoise? Can't remember but I love it. How about the color of a Tiffany box?!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

I despise wall paper removal. But fabric softener works wonders. Put in a spray bottle. Spray your paper after you score it. Let sit a few minutes and start scraping/pulling. I am glad yours is down!!

dee dee said...

Wendy,
I'm impressed, you completed your task without visible holes in your wall! (either from the removal process and/or frustration!)
I love your ideas and can't wait to see the end result!
Dee Dee

vignette design said...

I feel your pain! My advise to you is to enjoy the white walls for a while. Really think about the paint color. Do you want a warm color or a cool one. I like warm colors, especially in a dining room. One color I'm loving right now is Benjamin Moore HC 26 (Monroe Bisque). I agree with painting the mirror white. Have fun!

Atelier de Charo said...

Oh That's a big proyect you start.

Hugs
Charo

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

I have the most wonderful news ... our refrigerator is leaking! Hope it's fatal. ;-)

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Yikes! I am so glad I don't have any wallpaper!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Atticmag said...

I love wallpaper but I think I love paint even more. Your dining room looks sooo much bigger with the dark paper removed. Congrats on a job clearly well done. And thanks for stopping by. -- Jane F.

Debbie said...

YUCK double YUCK and triple that job SUCKS! Hmmmmm....decisions on paint color...well first is the DR adjoined with another room, kitchen, LR? what colors are those rooms....what about the print on your chairs? Are you redoing those? For me decorating my home is about keeping the flow, reversing the color schemes but having the same...does that make sense....you should keep in the same color pallet throughout your main living areas....Thanks for stopping by, and yes that Tatouge is actually done by an artist and you transfer her work to the wall, very cool...can get cheesy though so I kept it simple and in one room...

Patty said...

Ooh a pale blue/gray would be perfect!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I have two bathrooms that need to be stripped. I was hoping that you would have some awesomely easy solution. I do know that I will not ever choose wallpaper again. Paint is so much easier to change. Can't wait to see your new color. Jackie

Michelle said...

I know how much work that is. Congrats on getting the job done.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wendy,
That paper does look a lot like the kind we had in the bathroom. Too funny!! I don't know what the previous owner did to the walls before applying the paper, but it was so easy to take down. It took 10 mins to remove everything. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure :).

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity