Thursday, April 29, 2010

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup...

Thank you to everyone for your sweet comments! I can't wait to share the pictures we took today on our drive through beautiful Pa Dutch Country! We took almost 70 pictures! Here is one sneak peek...


Spring is always a busy time with baseball, track and ballet. The kids get in the door from school and we finish homework and quickly eat only to run out the door for practice or a game. Sigh.... It is a good busy, but busy.

When it comes to meals it needs to be fast and easy. Soup is always a good option and it has been unseasonably chilly here in Pa, which makes warm soup a great option.  This soup has at least one item in it that each child likes! That makes this recipe a keeper!

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
with White Beans


Ingredients
4 Tbls olive oil
5 links hot or sweet sausage, thinly sliced
2 cups chopped onion
1 fennel bulb, chopped
4-6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp dried thyme
1-2 medium size tomatoes, diced
48 ounces chicken broth
1 16-ounce package frozen cheese tortellini
1 19-ounce can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
6-10 ounces packaged spinach leaves
salt and pepper

Step One
Heat oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium-low heat. Add sausage, onions, fennel, garlic and thyme. Cook for 10-12minutes


Be careful it doesn't burn..


Add beans...


Add tomato and spinach

Add Chicken broth and tortellini (see note below)
Return to boil and allow to simmer for 6-8 minutes


Tony actually made this in the morning and he didn't want to add the tortellini until I heated it for dinner. The tortillini would soak up the chicken broth while sitting in the refrigerator, therefore it was better to wait.

When I pulled the soup out of the refrigerator for dinner that night, I brought it to a boil and added the tortellini and cooked for 6-8 minutes. Season with Salt and Pepper.



I asked Tony if he would teach us (me) some 101 cooking techniques. When I am dicing a tomato or onion he turns his head, because he says I hold the knife and onion wrong. I also have no idea how to debone a chicken. First on the list will be the chicken! Can you think of any other 101 cooking techniques you would like to know or learn? Don't be afraid to ask....he is listening!

We are happy to join in another fun

17 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I luv anything fast and easy...it looks great!

Blessings,
Linda

Laura said...

What a wonderful recipe.
I am so glad I visited this evening-
Thanks,

Laura

White Spray Paint

Maria M. Boyer said...

Sounds like a PERFECT Mangia, Figlie recipe. Will add a link to my FB page now! Yum.

Red Couch Recipes said...

I adore soup! This looks like a keeper. The tortellini and the sausage sound so good together. Joni

italian kitchen decor said...

Wonderfully simple recipe. I can't stand Sandra Lee and either turn off or mute the TV when she comes on.

Which is not to say she doesn't have some good ideas. It's her smarmy manner that turns me off.

Allie and Pattie said...

I am a HUGE soup lover- this looks yummy. I also HATE boning chickens and, consequently, it takes me forever. Can't wait to see your pics- the PA countryside is beautiful! Hope you had a fabulous birthday!
xoxo Pattie

dee dee said...

Wendy and Tony,
You hit the nail on the head! I love soup and thins one looks so yummy!
Anything Tony wants to teach me would be welcome, but I was just cutting an onion yesterday thinking..."What's the correct way to do this?"
I hope you Birthday was simply excellent!
Looking forward to seeing your photos!
Did you find your dream home?
Dee Dee

Pamela said...

Loving your sneak peek and your food always looks so yummy!

Karen said...

I am so glad that you had a great birthday, Wendy. The photos are great and I cannot wait to make the soup - YUM!

pk @ Room Remix said...

I'm so glad I stopped by today because this soup sounds YUMMY! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have a good weekend!

Midcenturymadam said...

Wow, that looks delicious. I think I'll try it this weekend. Thanks!

KC Mom said...

That looks yummy....just stopping by from sits...
You have a beautiful blog!

gnee said...

Looks tasty and fairly healthy too! Anything with tortellini and spinach is a winner...

MrsJenB said...

Oooooh...THAT looks delicious. Just simply delicious!

Atelier de Charo said...

Mmmmmm Delicious!!!

Hugs
Charo

Manuela@TPOH said...

That looks really really good! We had tortellini and pesto last night - that's my quick go to meal.

Manuela

Alecia said...

love bean soups- i can identify with the knife skills- my husband is a much better knife wielder than i am- he always offers instructions- i tell him - i like my veggies rough cut

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity