Friday, March 26, 2010

Stracciatella

Stracciatella Soup

This is a classic Italian comfort food my mom used to make.
Everyone loves it, and it will cure whatever ails you.
Kind of like our version of chicken noodle soup when you have a cold.

Its quick, easy and feeds the family fast.

While working at Dilullo Centro in Philadelphia, Pa. as an apprentice,
 I was tasked with "feeding the family". This meant before we opened for dinner service I had to cook a meal with whatever was in the kitchen to feed the staff! Almost always in a real hurry! 
This was it, serve it with a salad, and your done.

6 Cups Chicken Stock
3 Eggs
3 Tbsp. Semolina flour
1/4 Cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 Tbsp. finely chopped Italian Parsley
Pinch Nutmeg
S&P to taste
                                
1. If the chicken stock is not cold, measure out 1 cup and refrigerate until chilled
                                                                                  
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan, bring the remaining 5 cups stock to a boil.
3. In a small bowl combine the cold broth, eggs, semolina, Parmigiano, parsley, and nutmeg and whisk until well blended. Whisk the mixture into the boiling stock, reduce the heat to low, and cook whisking for 3-4 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the soup among six warmed bowls and serve, top with grated Parmigiano.

This was one of my Mom's favorite pots to cook with that I'm cooking in today. And wow its been 4 years today that she died. I love and miss you Mom!! Thanks for passing your love to cook on to me!!

Tony




I also like to stir in some chopped spinach to make it a little more substantial.


Italians Devotion to good food and family makes the lingua franca in great homes & families everywhere, especially in mine!!

Linking to Foodie Friday!

9 comments:

Nancy said...

This really sounds good and not too hard to make. Thanks for sharing!

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

Thinking of you guys and Mary today. I love that you both continue to share so much of her.

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

P.S. I totally googled your last line.

Love the Decor! said...

OKay do tell.. is that meaning the food speaks love?

alissa said...

Tony - Thanks for sharing this great recipe - it sounds delicious and simple. I'm making it soon!

Michael Lee West said...

I'll enjoy making this soup. It sounds delicious! Thanks for joining us at FF!

dee dee said...

Tony,
Once again..... yummy!
We love soup!
Dee Dee

Beth said...

Thanks for the recipe, Tony! I can't wait to try this...I love hot creamy soups!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

This sounds great, Tony! Thanks for sharing such a special recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity