Friday, March 19, 2010

Shutter progress...

Traci at Beneath My Heart is having a party to link
your favorite project from March.
After looking back over the month, I would have to like this one the most.
It isn't how I originally wanted the project to turn out,
but sometimes lemons do become lemonade!

Remember I brought home 5 beautiful chipped blue shutters?


We (lil Tony) washed the dead bugs off...


I had great plans to make a headboard....
but...
Tony (big) was worried about the chip paint...
not to worry....
I'll coat it with poly urethrene...
(2 coats)

Still chippy (not sure if that is a word) paint...
now Tony is worried that I am trying to damage
his brain cells with lead paint at his head while sleeping....
so I resorted to Plan B
a trip to dad's shop


How about a shelf on top of the shutter...
to hang above our bed...
don't you love when you can compromise
and everyone is happy...
brain cells not damaged :)



My favorite small town paint store did an awesome job
and matched the paint perfect!!
Benjamin Moore & Co. / Polished Slate / Pearl Finish
Two coats...
sanded some of the paint off to make it look chipped like the shutter...

Added some glaze...
and hardware on the back...

In its new home...


I am feeling the need to paint the bedroom furniture white...
didn't tell Tony that yet,
although he is probably reading it now with you...


I came home from work today and Tony added some
sparkle to the shelf....

5 glass knobs



Best part is I have 4 shutters left...
Dad and I are going to cut them in half to
make smaller shelves and take to
The Little Booth...

I am excited to link to the following parties...

Creative Cats
at


Saturday Night Special
at

DIY Projects / March Party
at


P.S. (Don't miss out on our first give away!)

26 comments:

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Very cute! I'm leaning with you about painting the furniture white. But then, I like white furniture. ha ha ha Either way, it looks great!
Patricia :o)

Treasia Stepp said...

How cute it turned out. I would have loved to have seen the headboard but beautiful compromise. Looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

I think the furniture would look fab in white.

Allie and Pattie said...

Poor Tony! Did he really think his brain cells are in danger?? LOL It looks fabulous!
xoxo Pattie

Aimee said...

I like them as a shelf but I agree that the bedroom furniture should go to white.

It looks great tho!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

So cute!!! Great job making it into a shelf. Marriage is all about compromise, right?! We have the exact same bed :) We are in planning mode right now to modify the top and paint it black. We'll see how that goes!

Wendy said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I really appreciate it. Your words meant a lot. It truly is such a bittersweet experience, isn't it? Anyway, I am glad to have found you through SITS! Looking forward to reading more!

Elizabeth said...

Brilliant! I love what you did - I've been waiting to see what you were going to do! Love the colour.

this blessed nest said...

oh i love that blue!

love the shelf too! but there is something about blue shutters - gorgeous!

happy spring to ya!
kellie

Coleen's Corner said...

Very nice and what a sweet hubby to add those glass knobs - that's just the cat's meow! Great job.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Brilliant idea! It looks great!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

I love what you did! The color is great, too!I am in need of shutters and can never find them!
~Nancy

dee dee said...

Wendy,
I'm so proud of you!
Your shelf turned out fantastic!
Great job Tony with the knobs, love the bling!
Wendy, I think you furniture will look wonderful with a coat of white paint. I think Tracy at Beneath My Heart painted her set like this white (maybe black).
Dee Dee

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

I think it looks great! Lost brain cells and all!! Too funny! Beautiful color too!

Michelle said...

It turned out great! Love the shelf on top, the color is perfect, and the glass knobs give it added pizzaz! Great idea about painting your furniture white--that would look really pretty in there!

Beth said...

I looove this Wendy! You are seriously a creative genius!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Such a great idea! It turned out perfect ;).

Bekki said...

LOL! My dear hubby says the same thing when I bring home things covered in lead paint. I then remind him we grew up in houses covered in lead paint and we are fine as long as we don't eat it! :) I love that litte shelf, I'm going to have to look for some shutters the yard sale season.

L~ @prim4Him said...

Oh thank you!
I have 2 small'ish shutters that I was walking around the house with yesterday!
I was waiting for inspiration to strike...it never did, until now!
GREAT idea, I will borrow it if you don't mind! :)
Thanks for sharing! L~

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

Yay! It's great!

Andy Porter said...

I knew I was going to love this post just by looking at the title. Two of my favorite things brought together. Totally cute! Great job!!

XOXO,
Andy

Amber said...

I love this! I saw this from Better Homes & Gardens and have wanted to try this. Great job!

jerriann said...

I really do like this project. I am looking for something to go above the bed in my guest room that is currently being remodeled and I think that would look great. Was that just one major run-on?

The shutter looks great. Love the way it turned out.

Heidi said...

So beautiful! I'm always trying to find old shutters, but they are nowhere over here! Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I think your idea of painting the other things white would look fabulous!

jennifer said...

Ok... I have a shutter that I'm not sure what to do with. I think I've been inspired! Thank you so much!

Rene said...

Very cute, what a great way to use a shutter.

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Wendy,
Those shutters are awesome. They look so good above the bed! And the little glass knobs are the perfect touch.
Thanks for linking this up to my party!
blessings,
Traci

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity