Friday, February 26, 2010

Fun with Panini's

Panini's are one of my favorite's for both entertaining, or gettin' the family fed fast.

Quick, Easy and Versatile!

They're great when you have one of those days where you have to go through the fridge
and use some stuff up!

**Any combination of Bread, Spread, Meat & Cheese goes,
so don't be scared to have a little fun with it!**

Here's what I used up the other day

Ham, Provolone & Dijon
on toasted Sourdough
&
Tomato Basil Pita's with Prosciutto & Fresh Mozzarella
(a.k.a. Caprese)

Heat a Panini Press on high until very hot
( a George Foreman type will work, or a regular ole griddle works)

Spread a little Dijon on the Sourdough


I used 1 piece of Provy, tore in half for each sandwich. Place one on each side

A little shaved Ham


Grill is HOT, put them on for 3-4 minutes.

I usually spray a little Pam to keep 'em from sticking

These Panini presses are nice, no worry about having to flip anything




Put the lid down, give them a little press to get the bread seared good.



Usually once that cheese starts oozing out the sides, they are good to go!


Caprese Pita


Same Deal, Get the Grill hot while your prepping the food

This fed the three kids and Wendy.
I only used one tomato, one 2 oz. ball of Mozzarella, a handfull of Baby Spinach
 a Tablespoon of Basil Pesto, a few slivers of Prosciutto,
and four Pita's.

Thats about as cheap as it gets, and you can pre-grill any Panini ahead of time, and reheat them later.

Slice Tomato, and Mozz about a 1/4 inch thick.
Pick any stems off the spinach,
(with Baby Spinach, you usually don't need to worry about any stems.)

Spread a l;ittle Basil Pesto on both sides of the Pita


Top one Pita with the Cheese, about four half slices of Mozz. will do.



A few pieces of shaved Prosciutto and Spinach on top of the cheese.


Top with 4 slices of tomato, a sprinkle of Parm

Place the other Pita on top, spray with Pam, and grill it 3-4 mintues.
Here's a Good example of what I meant when the choose starts to ooze out the sides!



I cut the Ham Panini's in half, and quatered the Pita's.

If its not for the family, and you're entertaining,
put a little Foo-Foo on the platter,
and set them out for people to graze on as an Appetizer.


Just a little toothpick and Veggies from the fridge to dress them up some.




Remember, any combination of bread, spread, meat & cheese works.
 If you don't do meat, veggies & seafood work just as well.
~Tony~

Linking to Foodie Friday!!





14 comments:

Cottage Sisters said...

Those look great....my favorite combo of anything is the caprese combo. Have a great day! Denise@cottagesisters

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Those look amazing! My husband and I received a panini maker as a wedding gift and we LOVE it! I like the idea of a caprese panini. I'm going to be making those this summer with my garden tomatoes and basil :) Thanks for the idea!

Allie and Pattie said...

Well, I came over to say thank you for visiting us and leaving such a sweet comment- and then I lost myself in your post! I'm actually in the market for a new panini press (ours had a little "accident" involving 2 brothers who can't quite get along all the time!). I've been looking at the Cuisinart and the Breville- we need BIG for this family! I'm so glad to have found you- our families sound pretty similar. I was planning some spaghetti with clam sauce and paninis made with some leftover frittata for this Lenten Friday! Thanks for sharing
xoxo Pattie

Red Couch Recipes said...

As my sister says, anything tastes great in a panini press. Yours with the basil looks extra yummy! Thanks!

dee dee said...

Tony,
I must keep my eye out for a panini press. These look delicious! Can't wait to try them!
Dee Dee

Pamela said...

Oh my gosh those look sooo yummy! Definitely not good for my new adventure buy maybe after awhile.

Nancy said...

Gorgeous blog and the food looks so delish!

Shellbelle said...

My panini press lives on my counter, I'm with you — they are quick, easy and YUMMY! I love trying out new concoctions, that's half the fun.

peasterpeach said...

Those look soooo yummy! My fav are blue cheese,tomatoes,and turkey! Soooo good.

Alecia said...

I know what to do with that extra gouda and portabellas i have in the fridge. I am drooling thinking about garden fresh tomatoes and herbs joining them in the future. thanks for sharing- love the garnishments- my dd will get a big kick out them.

Southern Queen Bee said...

Your pictures are great! Looks so yummy, I am going shopping today at the mall and do believe I will pick up a panini machine.

Victoria said...

That looks so good, the mozzarella and basil one made me drool!

Natasha said...

I love Paninis! We seem to have them every weekend!

Wendy I just wanted to let you know that our bench-tops are granite. I wanted marble but I just knew that they would be too hard to maintain. I am very rough in the kitchen and we eat a lot of curries and boy do they stain! The granite is fantastic and I haven't stained it or chipped it yet!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Natasha.

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

Alright, Tony. We ALMOST threw out our Foreman grill whilst cleaning out the basement today. Until I mentioned to Matt we could make your paninis with it. We kept it. Yum.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity