Thursday, February 4, 2010

From Sweater to Pillow




I bought these 2 sweaters on a trip to Sal. Army
in Oct.



Both are men's extra large.
I paid $1.00 for the one on the left
and $1.50 for the one on the right.
It was 50% off day!!

I decided to work with the cable knit first.


Cut it 17"x17" (cut 2 pieces)


Cut a lining 17"x17" (2 pieces)


Place one piece of cable knit on one piece of lining
be sure that the right side of the cable knit is facing out
Sew around all 4 sides



Place right sides together
The lining will be showing on both sides of pillow
Sew around 4 sides
Leave a 8" opening on one side to allow for stuffing
I always snip off the corners to allow for easy turning
and a nicer corner
Don't snip your seam..
(been there...done that..alreay)



Turn right side out &
Stuff away..
lil Tony's small hands were perfect...
The 3 kids were already talking about who was getting the pillow..



Pin your opening closed
and slip stitch with needle and thread



Temporary home...


Second Sweater...
Second Pillow...



This sweater I cut across under the arms and along the bottom.
I left the side seams intact!!

This sweater had a tighted knit and didn't need lining!


Sewed along top and
sewed bottom..
left an 8" opening for stuffing..
stuffed
pinned and hand sewed closed

Final Destination....

Maddie's room on her $22.00 chair from Goodwill...

These 2 pillows took only 35 minutes to make
with the help from 3 little elves named
Maddie, Tony and Sarah!!

I saved the sleeves...
going to my grandmother Audrey...
to work her magic..


Please join me at these great parties:

Thursday:
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage

Friday:
Creative Cats at Poppys at Play








Saturday:
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors


22 comments:

stephanied said...

Great job Wendy! I love the idea!!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Look at us doing the same thing today! Course I just used an existing pillow and stuffed it in! :)

http://thecountrychiccottage.blogspot.com/2010/02/sweater-pillows-pb-inspired.html

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

I just adore sweater pillows! Your tutorial is great. I am definitely bookmarking this for (near) future use!

You did a beautiful job on your sweater pillows, they are fabulous!

Cheers!
Tina

Kim said...

No Way Wendy! I would never have a vision like that. You are a true Artiste!

Southern Queen Bee said...

Those look great...I will never look at a sweater the same.LOL They really fit in with your other pillows

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Such great texture! And the chair is fabulous, too!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I did this same thing this winter - but didn't line it! Genius - I'm going to guy back and put a lining in. I think it will make such a difference.

Debbie said...

Very very cute!!~

Samantha Weisel said...

I just about fell out of my chair when I saw "NMSU Alamogordo" stitched there. I'm a native Alamogordoan now living in Delaware. Thank you for certainly waking me up this morning.

The one and only lady said...

What a GREAT idea...thanks for showing us how to reuse something!

Hannah said...

I love this idea...thanks for sharing.

Atelier de Charo said...

It's a great idea!!! Love those pillows

dee dee said...

Wendy, I always wanted to try making one of these! Thanks for the instructions! I would have never thought to line them first!
Off to buy old sweaters!
Dee Dee

Ms. Bake-it said...

What a great idea! Your pillows look great.

~ Tracy

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

I love those pillows! Beautiful - I think I have some old sweaters...

Danielle

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

What a great idea! I have several sweaters that will probably never get worn again...but they could make awesome pillows! Thanks for sharing!

-Grace

(Thanks for stopping by RMD earlier in the week!)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

LOVE the look of sweater pillows. The texture is simply dreamy! The cableknit was a great find!

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Nita Stacy said...

What a cozy pillow. I love it. I love the texture and the color. Great job!

Nita
ModVintageLife

Crystal said...

I just love your pillow. Doesn't it feel good to repurpose or go green, so to speak.
Thanks for stopping for a visit and leaving your sweet comment.

Stay warm and safe.

Jennifer Rizzo said...

Those sweater pillows are so cute, but I LOVE that chair! My goodwill never has anything like that~!!!

pk @ Room Remix said...

I love this sweater pillow trend! Yours turned out great.

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

Those look great! They would be so expensive if you bought them in a store like that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity