Friday, January 15, 2010

Wood Working 102; graduated

I know it is Foodie Friday and I am posting about
wood working!



I have all these awesome photos to post for
Spinach & Bacon Pasta,
but the recipe is in Tony's brain!!
See he is just like his mom...
Italian...
and carries all the recipes in his brain...
not written down...
So, I have the pictures, but he is at work with the recipe!
I will post tomorrow...promise!

I do have to tell you that I have been so excited to share the
picture frame my dad and I were working on!

Last Sat. we went to the workshop
with my little drawing..

Dad figured out the cuts and
mitered corners on the tablesaw.
He also routed the back for the glass.
I used the biscuit cutter.
Not the kind you eat...the kind that you
use on wood to secure two pieces of wood together.
I didn't take a picture of the biscuit cutter, because it
was the first time I was using it and I didn't want to make a
mistake :)
(You know I am known to make mistakes :)
it is called no patience...)
Dad glued and clamped it together for me!


I picked up the frame last night...



First I painted the frame black



Then I used my new favorite toy and
cut out the word Family.



I used Shanty2Chic idea of using contact paper.
I placed the contact paper in the right corner of the frame.



Next I painted the entire frame white.



After it was dry,
I removed the contact paper and
perfect letters!!!


I wanted to age it a little...
sanded the edges and the mitered seams.



It still seamed too white,
so I used glaze over the entire frame and edges.





Almost finished...
My dad had routed the back to hold the picture frame glass...
I popped that in...



Finished!!


I love it!
Now.... I want to do one that says "Friends"
or one for each of the kids with their name on it.
Maybe one that isn't a 10" frame,
try 8" or 6".
Ohhh...all the possibilities!!

I am excited to join in with the other creative cats
at Poppies at Play & Funky Junk's Sat. Nite Special!!

11 comments:

Andy Porter said...

Wow! Super cute!! I love how small the picture area is. It just makes such a unique statement! Thanks so much for linking to Poppies at Play! Come back again! I like your style!

Michelle said...

Found your post on Creative Cats. This is a great frame! Love how large it is and how small the picture is.

linda said...

What a beautiful frame! Both you and your dad are so creative! Great job!

kmarx99 said...

Love the frame, Wendy!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Cute! What a great job you guys did.

Cha Cha said...

Great job, thanks for sharing. We have made frames also, ours a a bit more country. But I love chunky picture frames. Thanks for sharing.

Cha Cha

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Very cute! Love the finish you put on the frame too.

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Londen @ Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Love the frame!

Room to Inspire said...

This frame is adorable! And I will have to try out the contact paper. Thanks for sharing!

Chelsea

Andy Porter said...

This will be a featured favorite tomorrow on Creative Cats at Poppies at Play!

Katie said...

Just found this little treasure on your blog. Wendy, I love it!! Wondering if I can get my husband to help me make one ... or five!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity