Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pottery Barn....NOT

We all like to post our successful projects...
those projects that we love...
but what about those mistakes...
those projects that go...
well just wrong...

Not at all what we intended....

Well, girls...this is to make you feel better,
because this wonderful idea went down hill!

Here is the inspiration:

(potterybarn)

The only chalkboard paint I had was in a spraycan.
It is too cold outside to run to Lowes.

The back of the can says it adheres to most surfaces.
Yeah!!

I did wipe the white plate with alcohol first.
I learned this in paint class!
Then I taped the edges.


Next I aimed and sprayed!!


Looks okay!
Are you ready...



ugh...
It leaked around the edges...
Sarah did test it out with chalk and it works!
The paint did adhered with no problems!

Lesson Learned:
I think the brush on Chalkboard Paint will work great.
Not so well with the spraycan kind!
I think a square or rectangle platter would work better.

If you know me....I want to try again....
so I sent Tony to the local Thrift store today for white plates or platters!

You will not believe what he found for 2.50



Looks like an average white platter,
but I turned it over...



PotteryBarn!!!
Sorry, I can't test on this one!
It's a keeper!!

I'll let you know how round two goes with the other plates he got!!



12 comments:

stephanied said...

Wendy, Did he go to Jubilee? I was just there yesterday, I must have missed that platter!! Rats!

heartnsoulcooking said...

What a FUN!!! idea. I will have to do this with my grand-daughters so they can make for Valentines Day.
Geri

Wendy said...

Stephanie...he did go to Jubilee today. He had no idea it was even PotteryBarn ...LOL...until I was jumping up and down in the kitchen!!!

Geri...that will be a fun project for Valentines day...Sarah actually has taken the plate as her own and having fun with it! You'll have to let me know how it goes =)

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

Oh, the fates and irony...

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Girl! You must have read my mind...I just did a post on when your DIY flops. That's ok..plan B is near by~

Room to Inspire said...

Yes, that PB plate is a keeper. I will stay tuned for attempt number 2!

Chelsea

Londen @ Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

LOL! Looking forward to you figuring it out so I can try it. Thanks.

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Wendy~ I saw these Pottery Barn chalk platters and thought they would make a wonderful wedding gift.
I know that frustration of having the best set plan go sour. I'm always asked how I come up with a craft or recipe (like my posted snowballs).
My response is... the ideas flow freely, but they never come with a set of instructions,lol.
I would have kept the Barn platter for serving too.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I actually did this project a few years ago and what I did was to tape of the area I was going to spray (all I had was green chalkboard paint) and I primed it. I probably used Zinsser Primer Sealer. I let that dry for a day and then I used my spray chalkboard paint. It worked fine and I still have that plate.

Manuela

Wendy said...

Manuela, Thank you so much for the tips!! I will share how it turns out :)
Wendy

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

We are keeping our fingers crossed for you...you are going in the right direction. The next one will be fab!!!

kmarx99 said...

Hi Wendy! I am posting! :)
I know this project will turn out great, and I can't wait to see it, but I have to say THANK YOU for showing the flop.... it makes me feel so much better about my own projects.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity