Sunday, December 13, 2009

4 Delicious Cookie Recipes

8 years ago we started a Christmas Cookie Exchange Party...
Every year I look forward to getting together with so many great friends!

We keep it simple...
Each person brings 6 dozen cookies
There were 13 of us and we give one assortment as a gift,
which makes 14.
Each person went home with 13 different kinds of cookies;
5 of each kind!

The extra assortment of cookies was shared with a new neighbor as a gift!

The kids get on the bus and by 9 am the party has started....
(before our kids were in school...the kids out numbered the moms!)


Here is a look at all the wonderul cookies.
We individually wrap them in sets of 5.
It keeps it easier and less messy.




Here is a look at the assortment...



It is not really about the cookies....
more about having coffee and being able to
talk without interuptions!!



Here are a 4 of the recipes and a few I am saving to share on a
Foodie Friday!

I am so excited to make and share Traci's, Beneath My Heart, mom's recipe
for Poppy Seed Bread.
It is just delicious! When she posted on Wednesdays with Wanda,
we made it that same day!!
Traci's mom would tie each loaf with jute and add a candy cane.
I used christmas ribbon and a tiny candy cane.


Poppy Seed Bread
3 cups flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. salt
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups oil
1 1/2 T. poppy seeds
2 t. butter flavoring
2 t. vanilla
Mix together the above ingredients and beat for two minutes. Fill in 5-6 mini loaf pans 2/3 to 3/4 full.
Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees

Glaze
3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. butter flavoring
Mix in a glass measuring cup.
Pour over hot bread when removed from the oven.
Let stand for 30 minutes.

Every Wednesday I  enjoy visiting  Traci blog to hear the wonderful
stories of her precious mom Wanda!
Thank you Traci, for opening your heart and home to us!



Egg-free / Peanut Free
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies / Rolo Cookies
2 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 t. baking soda
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. butter
2 t. flaxseed soaked in boiled water for 5 minutes, then cooled (or 2 eggs)
2 t. vanilla
2 c. (12oz.) semisweet chocolate chips (*or 48 rolos)
Combine flour, cocoa & soda, set aside. Beat sugars and butter until well blended; add cooled flaxseed and vanilla and beat. Slowly add dry mixture and mix well. Add Chocolate chips.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

* For Rolo Cookies*
(Don't add chocolate chips)
Line cookie sheeet with parchment paper.
Scoop dough into cookie scoop or spoon; push rolo into dough and cover with dough.
Pop onto cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Cool on parchment paper/cookie sheet before transferring to racks for final cooling.

This cookie is awesome!! This recipe couldn't come from a more awesome friend, Deb.
Deb also has been blogging years before me!  I enjoy grabbing a big cup of coffee and
read her very well written and funny stories of being a mom!


Cran-crazy cookies
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. chopped toasted walnuts
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium high for 30 seconds.
Add brown sugar, lemon peel, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Beat until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat as much as you can with mixer. Stir in any remaing flour.
Stir in walnuts and cranberries.
Drop dough by rounded tsp 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 10-12 minutes
Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks for 2 minutes

Note: To toast nuts, spread them in a single layer in a shallow baking pan.
Bake @ 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes or until edges are lightly brown.
Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes.
When cooled completely, chop nuts and set aside.

This recipe is from Dana and Gabby. Dana used orange flavor cranberries in her
cookie. It added the perfect hint of orange flavor to the cookie!



Lemon Squares
(Kathy's Award Winning)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and Pam a 9x15 pan.
3/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. powdered sugar
* Melt butter and mix with flour and sugar; press into a pan using a fork.
Bake 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.

3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 c. Granulated sugar
5 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp Flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
* Mix remaining ingredients and pour over cooked crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Cool completely and cover with powdered sugar!

This recipe comes from another great friend, Karen! 
These lemon squares just melt in your mouth!
(I ate 3 of the 5...don't tell anyone!)
Karen's mom Kathy won a baking contest with these Lemon Squares!




must get this recipe from Kris! They are delicious.
Just the right size, I think they have a raspberry filling inside
and who can't resist all those sprinkles!
Here is another view....



Some of the other cookies include:
Pecan Tarts
Peanut Blossoms
Poinsetta Cookies
Granola Bars
Scandinavian Bark Cookie

(oh no...I just realized I only have 12 cookies listed...
who is missing....any ideas girls??)

I am linking to Our Creative Life,
 A Fine House  & A Simply Sweet Home Cookie party!!

So many great parties...don't miss out!!

Merry Christmas!

13 comments:

Natasha said...

What great recipes-I might try some of these recipes this week.

Looks like you all had a wonderful time. We don't have these kinds of cookie exchanges here in Australia-I might have to think about this next year.

Best Christmas wishes, Natasha.

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

Chocolate chocolate chip cookies with a red & white Hershey's Kiss on top. They were gobbled up that night so I never got to try one, but Matt reported they had mint -- probably the Kiss and possibly more. I think there may have been two kids of tarts as well, one with a chocolate drizzle and one without. Or maybe I just made out like a bandit and got two of the same thing. Lucky me.

Thanks for opening your home to us, Wendy. It was such a wonderful morning.

Off to have one of Karen & Kathie's Lemon Squares. Hopefully just one -- I ate the entire bag of granola bars the afternoon of your party.

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Okay..I removed the above comment..that I typed because I spelled a word wrong! Which is going to need to be an up coming post, because I am the worst speller in the world!
Anyways.... Laura made the granola and they were all eaten on Friday here, too!
I will post the recipe on Foodie Friday!

Stephanie D. said...

I have a confession. I ate every single Lemon Square! They are one of my favorite things in the whole world!!! Love them to pieces!!

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

I did, too.

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

This is such a great idea. I have heard of people doing cookie exchanges, but I have never participated in one myself. Maybe I'll get to one day.
Thanks for sharing my mom's recipe.
Blessings!
Traci

Cass @ That Old House said...

What a wonderful tradition! And how nice for you young moms to get together in this way; such a good idea!

I only attended a cookie exchange once -- it was great fun! And I cannot believe that you posted a recipe for Lemon Bars; I have misplaced my tried and true recipe, and wanted to make the bars today with lemons that need to be used, and couldn't find one online that I liked. Now, problem solved! I will use the one from your friend!

Many thanks!
Cass

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

Wow! Thanks for all those great recipes - I haven't even started baking yet. I will definitely try some of those out!
And that looks like a great party!

Danielle

Jerri said...

Everything looks so yummy here! Thanks for sharing all these great recipes!

I hope you'll stop by and link up today at my Holly Bloggy Christmas Recipe party!

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

What a wonderful tradition for you and your friends. My mother did an exchange when I was younger. Alas, I wish I had one in real life to participate in. That's why I created my Cookie Exchange. Lots of yummy cookie recipes!

Thanks for sharing with my Cookie Exchange!

heartnsoulcooking said...

GREAT!!! post with so many AWESOME!!! recipe.
THANKS!!! for sharing.
Geri

Anonymous said...

Wendy and Tony, congratulations on Madeline achieving Distinguished Honors. How pleased I am and I am sure you are "proud parents". Love ya, Pop

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity