Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Smores


There is a cookie party at Stuff and Nonsense and you know how I am about cookies!
Love them...every little morsel!
Last night we were thinking of a new recipe, but then I thought maybe some of you didn't
get a chance to read about the smores we made last December...
So here we go.....traveling back in time....

The kids and I were so excited to try this recipe! Sarah and Tony helped me make them tonight! Of course we have a  funny story that go along with the cookies!
We love Smores and look for any good reason (excuse) to make them!
When I found a recipe for Homemade Graham crackers....
well of course....that means SMORES!!



Ingredients:
1 Cup butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Honey
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp all spice
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Topping:
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Beat softened butter with brown sugar, honey and vanilla until fluffy.
Combine flours, cinnamon, all spice, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat at medium speed until well blended.
With dampen fingers, press dough onto parchment lined baking sheet. Cover dough with parchment paper and use the bottom of a dry measuring up to smooth out the top of the dough. Remove parchment paper and discard. Use a fork to score dough into squares, press fork completely through dough with each indentation.
Sprinkle topping on dough prior to baking. (cinnamon and sugar)
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. While dough is still warm, score again. Cool completely on wire rack before breaking into individual crackers.




Score with a fork to create squares. I was able to make 20 squares. I think we could've made the dough thinner and it would have made more squares.



The house smelled so good while they were baking!! When we took it out of the oven it was this beautiful brown color! We are so excited to assemble our smores!

Plan A
Here we go! The squares were large enough for 2 marshmallows!
We first tested it in the microwave and the marshmallow's Blew up to the size of a large apples! I would've taken a picture, but we were laughing too hard and then they went down to normal size.
Of course we still ate it :)


Plan B: We assembled the smores and placed it under the broiler.
It toasted the marshmallow perfect!!
I would stick with plan B, unless you're looking for some entertainment!




We wrapped a few for individual gifts.
Experiment with different kinds of Hershey chocolate when making your smore's.
A reese's peanut butter cup smoreis unbelievable!



 
Last year I linked this recipe to Kim's Dare to Do it Yourself Party!!
And in 2010 we are joining Stuff and Nonsense for another fun cookie party!
Stop by and see all the great cookie ideas!

Happy Baking!!

18 comments:

Chad and Kristen @ The Tomato Vine said...

These are so wonderful! My Hubby loves graham crackers and smores - these would make a great surpise for him! Thanks for sharing :)

Erin @Domestic Adventure.com said...

Oh wow! Homemade graham crackers. I am speechless! I love how you packaged them.

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

Wow - what a treat! This would be great on Christmas Eve!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for the suggestion! I visited Kathy's blog and will be guest blogger tomorrow - YEA!
Thanks again so much!

Danielle

Natasha said...

Wendy, these look so delicious and what a lovely gift idea. I so wish I'd seen the photo of the ginormous marshmallow!

Best wishes, Natasha.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

These are so adorable, I love them all packaged up.

I actually made smore bars about a month ago, but they were different. They were delicious, too. Wow.... actually dangerously so. =)

Thanks for joining in this week. =)

Allison and Jared said...

what a wonderful idea!

Beth said...

I will have to try this! We miss s'mores over the winter. Thanks, Wendy!

Tracey said...

Hi Wendy!! Your smores with homemade graham crackers look unbelievably delicious!!! What a GREAT gift they make!

Thank you for coming by my blog for a visit and for posting my button, I really do appreciate it!!

Have a great Monday!

:) T

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh my gosh ~ they look decadent! Thanks for your outside wreath tip, Wendy! I'm sure I will want to do something in the event those winds whip up again. I'm going to try it on the weekend.

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Yummy, that looks so good. I'll have to try that, or maybe a variation with my fondue pot!

Emily said...

Oh Yum! These look delicious and the presentation is gorgeous!

PamperingBeki said...

Well doesn't THAT look yummy?!

Jen R. said...

Oh YUM!!! I am going to make some of those.. I LOVE smores!!!

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Wendy~ My DIL made homemade graham crackers for their Thanksgiving dessert for her visiting family . I told her I'd never had or heard of making graham crackers, sooo she promised when they came for Christmas she'd make them for me. I think they'd be tasty as s'mores. I'd like to try the Reese peanut butter cups, that would be decadent. This will make a *sweet* gift.
I'll have to add this to the (growing) list of your recipes that I want to make.
I'm going to make your fruit and nut bark too.

Sweet holiday wishes,
Sara

Debbie said...

Wendy those added 10lbs to me just looking! Fantastic recipe.

Alison said...

Yum! Thanks for linking up! I have never made graham crackers before but I'll have to try this recipe.

Thanks for becoming a follower too!

Blessings,
Alison

Donna (Timeless Settings) said...

These look amazing!

Donna

pk @ Room Remix said...

These look absolutely yummy! I'm doing some Christmas baking today and, oddly enough, everything I'm making has chocolate in it. :-) I think these are really cute packaged as little gifts too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity