Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cookie Exchange Week 5....

Welcome to week 5 of the cookie exchange. Thank you to everyone who has participated, it has been lots of fun. This has a been one of those crazy weeks here! I had to attend 2 conferences and we had school open house. The days just go by too fast and there is never enough time to get everything done!

So for this weeks cookie exchange I am posting a recipe that I posted over a year ago. I also think that we might take a break from the cookie exchange for a while....bring it back again closer to Christmas...any thoughts?  I didn't break this news to Lil Tony yet!

Red Velvet cake is my absolute favorite cake in the world! Making red velvet cookies is like icing on the cake! They are delicious and just the right size! 

Red Velvet Cookies
Ingredients:


1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp red liquid food coloring
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
Sprinkles (I used red)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beat until well blended. Beat in red food coloring and vanilla.

Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to above mix, alternately with buttermilk. Beat at a low speed until blended.



Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 3" apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until tops are set. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely
 
 
After cookie is cool frost each cookie with cream cheese icing and add sprinkles. ( I know I cheated on the icing!)
 
 
Enjoy!!




11 comments:

Love the Decor! said...

I like that idea
I am a bit overwhelmed too and not getting to all of my favorite blogs right now. Can't even seem to get a decent post together : )

dee dee said...

Yea! Wendy I finally got my act together!
I am so happy I could join the party this week!
Hope all is well!
Dee Dee

dee dee said...

Yummy cookies Wendy! dee dee

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

OH...my I never ever bake cookies. But this recipe makes me want to go buy all the ingredients and crack the seal on my oven. I'm calling my sister tomorrow and reading her the recipe. I know she'll make them immediately.

Allie and Pattie said...

Wendy, I don't know what happened here- I know I linked to this last night but I just came back and it wasn't here- I hope this works! Anyway, off to check out the rest of the cookies!
xoxo Pattie

Beth @ Dirty Laundry said...

Hi Wendy,
I really had planned to do Caramel Apple Tartlets this week and somehow Thursday arrived and it hadn't happened. I will save it for when you start up your exchange again. I'm sorry! I remember your Red Velvet cookies from last year. What a perfect cookie for a cookie exchange!
Beth

Aimee said...

OMG no you did not! We try not to eat sweets very much right now especially with our healthy food eating kick (which i cheat on often but kevin is SUPER strict about) But I am going to have to make these.

Yum Yum Yummy!!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I just recently discovered my love for red velvet cake, so this is perfect. Yummy!

Corners of My Life said...

These red velvets look perfect for Christmas.

Mary said...

Your cookies look really delicious. I love red velvet "anything." These are certainly worth a try. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Donnie said...

Natasha from "5 minutes for me" said you might like my spritz cookie recipe. I became a follower and will just wait til you're ready to do them again. Love your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity